My Surface for Windows RT Review

Associate
anyone using a better media player than the xbox one ?

There aren't many others! :p

I just tried Multimedia 8 and that works fine with the screen off. This is purely a guess but it could be down to how they're loaded into memory, if you play a song in Xbox music and turn off the screen it will play fine until it loads the next track, Multimedia 8 may have worked simply because it's placing those songs into memory. I mention this because I also get stuttering from notifications (eg new mail).

Don
The charger plug is a weak point in the design imo, it's not easy enough to do each time without looking.

The keyboard/cover to surface snap is fantastic though, great design. Used mine today as a remote desktop client to do my whole day's work.

Besides small excel cells being fiddly with a trackpad, it was perfect for my work. This isn't really the fault of the Surface though. I think I'll get an MS touch mouse to compliment it.

Soldato
OP
as you said speakers are loud so thats good.

The built in speakers are average - if you plug headphones in that's when it gets comparatively loud.

YouTube videos play fine, although I'm seeing dropped frames every now and again. I'm looking for them though. I wouldn't bother with 1080p videos on this screen anyway.

Associate
The charger plug is a weak point in the design imo, it's not easy enough to do each time without looking.

It has some plus point though, I like the fact it can be used in either orientation and doesn't really get in the way due to its small size but they really should have had a strip rather than a single point on the top to show it's working.

Soldato
OP
Now presumably the audio stuttering is just down to how Xbox music is written and will hopefully be fixed when they update apps (there's plenty of other small bugs which need fixing anyway). Given that apps are small self contained pieces of software I was hoping Microsoft would be more prolific in how quickly they update them.

There is a music app update that just appeared today you might be interested in (bug fixes)

Soldato
OP
Yeah, you're best off treating the 32GB as a 16GB. You can just pop in a microSD card though if you're struggling.

In regards to the review, its turned into a bit of a monster. I have a stack of usability observations, the verdict is written and I have a score out of 10. The only thing left is the performance which requires a few screenies. I would post the usability stuff now if it wasn't for feeling a bit like drip feeding it and people would rather just wait for the whole lot.

Last edited:
Soldato

The keyboard/cover to surface snap is fantastic though, great design. Used mine today as a remote desktop client to do my whole day's work.

Besides small excel cells being fiddly with a trackpad, it was perfect for my work. This isn't really the fault of the Surface though. I think I'll get an MS touch mouse to compliment it.

I used mine for work. I delivered a BusinessObjects training course with it using Power Point and Remote Desktop session to a training server.

Soldato
I'm just adding my own little sum up in two days use here, hope you don't mind.

I have not had a good look around yet so not sure on prices oh big Apps but the obvious weakness is the lack of some big names, not that minding to much yet, theirs a lot packed in it from the box, Full Office is the obvious one which is pretty much a full desktop version, if you want to use that much then you WILL need the touch cover.

But, theirs so much right with it I couldn't write it all down, esp if you already have a Win8 pc, Xbox and have been using their Skydrive account.

Just about the screen yes it not the same res, and it shows, but you are looking for it it, as they use subpixels between and the colour and contrast is the best I think so far, media consumers will be very happy with this, as well as photographers. Also, the usb stick, it really works, dragging dropping movies and music into folders via a proper desktop and Windows explorer, again the cover keyboard trackpad would be preferred for this, but touch options have been made, same for the SD card, with my 32gb one working fine, just as well as you might have read about the 32gb versions actually only having 16gb of available memory, as MS state, but people didn't read, mostly due to just how much is in it out of the box, office, explorer etc. If you want the space you can delete them.

Internet Explorer 10, ya have to really forget everything you think you know about past explorers, this is fast, renders text Very well, no weird formatting either.

Also, iPlayer and YouTube works as full browsers, though with iPlayer you have to press and hold to get the player to play, but not a shabby implementation at all.

Though, the build quality, it feels fantastic, utter quality, and looks it, the kick stand might be thin but you have full confidence in it even if dropped. However it is big, in the widescreen, this is NOT a tablet for your pocket, or for portrait mode for that matter, still with a comfortable weight.

Everything runs smooth for me with some updates for each MS app being swift, and I expect will only be optimised even further with time and real world feedback.

Overall, you cant help but think this is a PROPER tablet, I know it sounds stupid, and it does deffo have some problems, but it really makes Droid feel cheaper in some way, and iOS toy like.

Ohh yea, Windows Desktop keyboard short cuts work, for example typing this mini review on it, I want to copy it all in case the ****er doesn't post right, do what you would usually do, ctrl +a (select all) then ctrl +c (copy) works just the same.

Just to add to this, I'm really thinking I should have ordered the cover/ keyboard now for the ease of navigating the desktop side of things.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another thing I'm just adding as I discover.
Proper multiple tab browsing. What I mean by that is in IE10 I'm typing this in one tab, a few other static sites open, but havec the BBC live news feed playing (the sound still playing etc) as I am on this tab. Not sure if I have explained that right.

Also predictive text seems very very good as well.

Associate
Another thing I'm just adding as I discover.
Proper multiple tab browsing. What I mean by that is in IE10 I'm typing this in one tab, a few other static sites open, but havec the BBC live news feed playing (the sound still playing etc) as I am on this tab. Not sure if I have explained that right.

Also predictive text seems very very good as well.

Feels weird doesn't it? On an iPad you'll have the video stop the moment switch to another tab but the Surface with its modest hardware takes this kind of thing in its stride.

I still don't understand why Microsoft didn't include more powerful hardware, it would have completely undermined the iPad.

Associate
I'll definitely be having a look at a Win RT tablet in 18 months or so, when the price is lower, the hardware better and the app choice is wider.

Until then I'm having tons of fun flashing roms and installing apps on my Nexus 7 :D

Back
Top Bottom