• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Mystery GPU shutdowns

Associate
Morning all . Need advice .
I have a full custom water loop on my PC . Started to get GPU errors when gaming , games would freeze , sound would fail and sometimes PC would crash off . Stripped system , sent MOBO and CPU back to supplier as tests on test bench seemed to point to these being an issue . Both were replaced . Rebuilt PC on test bench with GPU now back with its original FE blower cooler . Everything ran without issue , had spare GPU ( both GTX1080 FE ) This was the same ran with no issues , even tried different MOBO ,RAM and PSU , all worked just fine . Rebuilt PC with water loop , ran fine for about 2 hrs then started doind as before ?! . Fit different water block to other GPU and swapped out . Ran ok for 1 HR , problems started again , PC freezes or shutsdown . They only differences with test bench are number of fans and obviously the water pump , and also 1 HDD . PSU is an EVGA 850 P2 . I am thinking that maybe , just maybe the PSU is failing , as this is the only part not changed whilst on water , I do have an EVGA 650 P2 to try , but any helpful advice would be gratefully received

Coincidentally I've been having the same problems over the last month or so. Swapped graphics cards out, swapped watercooling.

I've got an 850 P2 as well, which I've recently swapped to a Seasonic Focus Platinum and the problem has gone away. Going to be RMA'ing my EVGA! :) I bought it in Feb 2017

Try a new premium PSU its nearly always that it does not supply enough Amps on the rails causes these issues if all other things are equal.

Yea , tried the obvious, but always worth reminding , it's so easy to miss the simple stuff . Tried different cables , different slots and even tried with and without riser cable . Just got home , so I am going to check the basic stuff again and wire in my other PSU .

it is likely the PSU, Vega actually has a feature on it where the GPU will shut down If it detects abnormal fluctuations in the power supply.

A friend had problems with 4 different Vega FE's shutting down under load till he tried a different PSU.

Well just an update . I ran all components 1m by one on my test bench , then all together . All stable . Tried different PSU , no change still did shutdowns . Replaced all cabling , got some extensions from CableMod ( look really Nice ) , been running for 7 days , so far no issues .

Well just an update . I ran all components 1m by one on my test bench , then all together . All stable . Tried different PSU , no change still did shutdowns . Replaced all cabling , got some extensions from CableMod ( look really Nice ) , been running for 7 days , so far no issues .

That's good news, I hope it lasts. :)

Thanks for the support - did you get one of our PRO Extension Kits?

Back
Top Bottom