nameservers and cname?

Associate
Looking for a bit of help here.

Normally when I do sites, I do everything and I keep my domain name and hosting with the same company (vidahost).

However for this project I am doing the development and hosting but the domain name is with a different company names.co and is controlled by another party. I requested the name server to be changed to ns1.vidahost.com since this was done the page been displayed has changed. however its not the page that I was expecting. I was after a nice new installation of Wordpress however I get a Cpanel apache welcome page.
After contacting Vidahost and looking at mx tools and intoDNS the name servers reporting back are
Code:
Nameserver records returned by the parent servers are:

ns1.phase8.net.   ['85.233.160.68'] (NO GLUE)   [TTL=86400] 
ns2.phase8.net.   ['85.233.164.62'] (NO GLUE)   [TTL=86400] 
ns0.phase8.net.   ['85.233.160.69'] (NO GLUE)   [TTL=86400]

After asking the guy to check that he has the right details this is what I get
screen2.jpg

These changes were done over 48 hours ago, and like I said the page displayed changed almost instantly.

Any Ideas?

Soldato
That's because he's not changed the nameserver correctly....

He's added cnames to point to the nameservers rather than explicitly change the nameservers.

If he's maintaining control because he "knows what he's doing" - I can wholeheartedly assure you that he does not.

EDIT: Go to http://ns1.vidahost.com/ directly and you might be able to connect the dots as to why you're seeing the same thing when you go to www.yourdomain.com

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers Roy,
I though as much.
If I get him to change the nameserver properly. Would I have to add the A and MX records to the hosting config to, on myside?

Like I said i normally keep everything together to avoid confusion

Soldato
To check it, go to www.who.is and type in your domain. Go to the "DNS Records" tab and you can see which nameservers it is using.

Roy is correct, he hasnt changed the nameservers correctly but once you get him to do it properly, you can use this method to check when the changes come through.

Cheers Roy,
I though as much.
If I get him to change the nameserver properly. Would I have to add the A and MX records to the hosting config to, on myside?

Like I said i normally keep everything together to avoid confusion

Yes, once the nameservers are changed, none of the DNS records on his nameserver will have effect so you'll need to copy it to your own nameserver.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I would have to add
Code:
MYSITE.org	MX	1 day	10	mail.MYSITE.org
MYSITE.org	MX	1 day	20	mail2.MYSITE.org
mail.MYSITE.org	A	1 day		91.109.13.38 (Liverpool, H8, GB)
mail2.MYSITE.org	A	1 day		91.109.13.38 (Liverpool, H8, GB)
MYSITE.org	SOA	1 day		ns0.phase8.net. support.phase8.net. 2014051501 28800 3600 604800 86400
Never seena SOA record before?

daz

daz

Soldato
Unless there's a specific reason for keeping the DNS with Namesco I'd get the nameservers changed over rather than worrying about DNS A records and CNAMEs.

Within the domain registration section of the Namesco panel there should be a section for changing the nameservers over.

Back
Top Bottom