NAPOLEON

Yes wtf is this?!
Not quite sure why it's present in the start of actual youtube videos but AFAIK they're designed for when the trailer is appearing as a skippable advert to try and catch people's attention before the typical 5 second skip timer times out.

It's possibly baked into the videos to try and catch attention during autoplay previews as someone is scrolling through a load of video suggestions on their youtube feed

Last edited:
Not quite sure why it's present in the start of actual youtube videos but AFAIK they're designed for when the trailer is appearing as a skippable advert to try and catch people's attention before the typical 5 second skip timer times out.

It's possibly baked into the videos to try and catch attention during autoplay previews as someone is scrolling through a load of video suggestions on their youtube feed
Makes sense!

I don't think it'll do big numbers at the box office compared to say Oppenheimer but it's great to get more of these in-depth character studies using really good actors recently, I'm all for it!

My only concern, and I never thought I'd be saying this considering I absolutely love 90% of his previous work, is over Ridley Scott who for me at least has been a shell of his former self, with the recent-ish two Alien prequels (despite the excellent Martian in-between) and the disaster of "The Last Duel" really highlighting how far I think his current ability/competence/desire has fallen over the past decade (obviously opinions may vary).

If this film goes well I'll be far more excited for his Gladiator 2 film than I am right now.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't think it'll do big numbers at the box office compared to say Oppenheimer but it's great to get more of these in-depth character studies using really good actors recently, I'm all for it!

My only concern, and I never thought I'd be saying this considering I absolutely love 90% of his previous work, is over Ridley Scott who for me at least has been a shell of his former self, with the recent-ish two Alien prequels (despite the excellent Martian in-between) and the disaster of "The Last Duel" really highlighting how far I think his current ability/competence/desire has fallen over the past decade (obviously opinions may vary).

If this film goes well I'll be far more excited for his Gladiator 2 film than I am right now.
I really enjoyed Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

I was not aware of Gladiator 2! it'll be hard to best the first movie but I'm down for it.

Last edited:
and the disaster of "The Last Duel" really highlighting how far I think his current ability/competence/desire has fallen over the past decade (obviously opinions may vary).

I thought The Last Duel was a brilliant film. Ending was slightly weak, but I thought it was a really well crafted and interesting film. It had some great performances in it, even if a couple of the casting choices were somewhat odd.

I hope it includes Lieutenant Colonel Sharpe's part in his eventual downfall. ;)

I hear it ends with Sharpe cutting off Napoleon’s head during an out of place electric guitar solo.

Napoleon’s last words spoken from his bodiless head: “… but, he’s from the ranks?!

I thought The Last Duel was a brilliant film.

Irrespective of personal taste (Art is subjective after all) it was a "disaster" as it only made $30m on a budget of over $100m and was panned by both critics and the majority of customers.

However, if you enjoyed the film then none of the above matters really.

Was happy to discover this weekend that a new Sharpe novel is out in October!
I didn't think much to the last new one (Assassin, was it?)
But I should probably give it another go, to be sure. And I will certainly read the new one when it is out.

The series as a whole, I read from start to finish every few years. They're such an easy, light, barnstorming, read.

Back
Top Bottom