Narrow escape with order from China

Soldato
I wanted to get my wife a new back pack for when she travels. I thought one of these Thief proof jobs with USB charging and placed an order on Amazon for one that looked like others I'd seen with good reviews.
Got an email from China today, the goods have been held by HMRC. Looking closer I suspect it must be a clone of a more expensive one. Can't even trust Amazon now! LoL.
Andi.

Soldato
Amazon makes it quite tricky to spot Chinese sellers. It's ok if they show as alternative sellers as it says the shipping destination but it doesn't say it anywhere obvious for the main seller.
Normally they'll have a long delivery ETA but they sometimes lie.

Plus doesn't seem to be anything stopping them from tagging on as a seller for an already well reviewed product. Just set themselves as the lowest price and take all the sales while shipping a possibly inferior product.

Bit annoying really

Man of Honour
Plus doesn't seem to be anything stopping them from tagging on as a seller for an already well reviewed product. Just set themselves as the lowest price and take all the sales while shipping a possibly inferior product.

Just check the sellers - its quite obvious on some stuff when a new seller pops up slightly undercutting established 3rd parties and cloning their product presence that they are just trying to scam high priced goods and no one in their right mind should buy from them.

Even most of the Chinese sellers value their presence on Amazon too much to sell directly counterfeit goods these days though high quality clones, sold under their own brand, aren't completely unusual. Sometimes an established seller will unwittingly sell a batch of counterfeits but most will just refund/sort it as hassle free as possible due to wanting to keep their presence on there.

Soldato
OP
Yes I am sure it's not just being held for duty, seller contacted me and offered a refund, which Amazon has already processed. Delivery time was a few days but I missed the bit about it possibly taking until 20th Sept from a 14th August order.
Andi.

Caporegime
Not a pain if they stop counterfeiting or drug smuggling
Andi.

Disagree completely, there's nothing wrong with drug use and the sale of drugs online through international mail has greatly reduced the risk of harm to users compared to traditional methods of obtaining drugs from street dealers.

Associate
Disagree completely, there's nothing wrong with drug use and the sale of drugs online through international mail has greatly reduced the risk of harm to users compared to traditional methods of obtaining drugs from street dealers.

Nothing wrong with drug use? You've clearly not dealt with the same number of people overdosing as I have...

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with drug use? You've clearly not dealt with the same number of people overdosing as I have...

People making bad choices or being harmed by something doesn't make it ethically wrong.

As an aside, overdosing largely occurs as a result of the criminalisation of drugs leading to varying purity and the substitution of moderate potency opioids like heroin with high potency ones like fentanyl.

Associate
Didn't say drug use I said smuggling, which would include drugs of dodgy composition. I accept drug use is a thing and I am in favour of legalizing it in a controlled way.
Andi.

Yes, I was replying to Energize's comment, who did say there is nothing wrong with drug use.

People making bad choices or being harmed by something doesn't make it ethically wrong.

As an aside, overdosing largely occurs as a result of the criminalisation of drugs leading to varying purity and the substitution of moderate potency opioids like heroin with high potency ones like fentanyl.

Yes I agree. Also a lack of education. I dealt with a number of young people who really had little clue what it was they were taking. Personally I had a number of young people who were very close to death from drugs, thankfully I never had to deal with someone who died. Some of my colleagues have since though.

Back
Top Bottom