NAS and Streaming advice

Associate
My current setup:

WD MY CLOUD MIRRIR
Old PC running Serviio
1TB USB External Hard drive

I stopped using the WD for Streaming as I hated the rubbish streaming software so its just used to backup documents and disk images

I use the PC for streaming and use Serviio which I like. The Movies, Photos etc are stored on the USB drive

I would like to consolodate these tree devices into one. One reason is the rising cost of electric :)

So what would you reccomenbd please thats not going to break the bank :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I use an Asustor Nimbuster 4, handled all the streaming tasks I've thrown at it with ease. You seem to get really good value for money with Asustor, especially when I got it there weren't many that had 2.5gbe never mind two of them, plus a decent processor.
I went the NAS route for overall ease of use while also being efficient.

Associate
OP
I use an Asustor Nimbuster 4, handled all the streaming tasks I've thrown at it with ease. You seem to get really good value for money with Asustor, especially when I got it there weren't many that had 2.5gbe never mind two of them, plus a decent processor.
I went the NAS route for overall ease of use while also being efficient.
Thanks, looking at the App section of their website it looks like it does not support serviio?

Soldato
I use PLex on my QNAP. Smart TVs have the Plex client running. Works well but of course a NAS can cost a fair amount. Plex server is free unless you want the online streaming services.

Looks like QNAP, Synology & Asustor NAS devices are supported on the Serviio home page.

I also have Pi Hole & CCTV services running on my QNAP and it uses very little power.

My QNAP is a TS-453B for reference. I was going to install serviio for a quick test but it looks like it needs a bit of prep first with extra packages but in theory shouldn't be too difficult to setup and run.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers, I will be opting for a 2 bay nas
If you want to run Plex on a 2 bay Synology, the only future proof option is really the DS220+. It has a Celeron processor and 2gb of RAM. It is more than enough for 4k Plex transcoding, and also running dockers, if you wanted to use it to host home assistant or something in the future.

You could get away with a DS220j, which has a 4 core Marvell processor (the same as the previous 218 play), but it is border line if you wish to transcode on Plex. If however you just want to stream straight from the NAS to your tv via a good home network, then it is fine. It can't handle Docker however.

Associate
OP
If you want to run Plex on a 2 bay Synology, the only future proof option is really the DS220+. It has a Celeron processor and 2gb of RAM. It is more than enough for 4k Plex transcoding, and also running dockers, if you wanted to use it to host home assistant or something in the future.

You could get away with a DS220j, which has a 4 core Marvell processor (the same as the previous 218 play), but it is border line if you wish to transcode on Plex. If however you just want to stream straight from the NAS to your tv via a good home network, then it is fine. It can't handle Docker however.
Thanks for the reply however I think you missed that I am running Serviio not Plex

So based on that would you say the DS220J will be OK?

Whats Docker?

Edit: just done a search on Amazon the DS220J with 8TB is £349 and the DS220+ with 8TB is £549, so for what I need is it worth spending another £200???

Soldato
In all honesty I think you need to do some research. NAS come in vastly different capabilities depending what you want to do with them, best to know what you need rather than be told or guess.

Associate
Thanks for the reply however I think you missed that I am running Serviio not Plex

So based on that would you say the DS220J will be OK?

Whats Docker?

Edit: just done a search on Amazon the DS220J with 8TB is £349 and the DS220+ with 8TB is £549, so for what I need is it worth spending another £200???
I don't know Serviio, If it is just streaming, the DS220j will be more than adequate.

Soldato
1080p movies and TV programmes. No transcoding
Just get the cheapest NAS you can then, not sure how others do it though but with Asustor it's a good idea to run a small SSD as volume 1 where you install all your apps and services, then a RAID of some description as volume 2, that way your HDDs can power down when not being used.

Back
Top Bottom