NAS drives never sleeping

Associate
I have a Asustor 10 Bay Nas with a number of drives in (a pair of 2TB SSDs mirrored for the system drive, 4 16TB drives in RAID6 for main storage, a single 3TB drive as a TV recording drive and a pair of 1TB M2 SSDs as read\write cache.

I am noticing that the drives never seem to sleep, even with the sleep timeout set to 5 minutes, I have hard disk hibernation logging turned on and looking back over the last few days there is not a single instance of the drives hibernating. Running the diagnostic tool in hardware settings shows no processes other than a occasional read of Volume126 by in:imklog (not even sure what volume126 is, possibly the cache?). The process monitor shows all processes as either sleeping or unknown.

Does anyone have any thoughts of anything else I could check or what the problem might be? Mostly concerned about the RAID6 drives, as they are used for Plex storage and it could be several days between access, so shutting them down seems sensible. The RAID6 drives are Seagate Exos drives in case that is relevant.

Associate
OP
The NAS is a Lockerstor AS6510T, the Seagate Exos drives are ST16000NM001G.

Plex is running on it but not doing any processing at this time, I am running very little else on it,only installed apps other than Plex are UPnP Media Server (for music which is stored on the system drive only), plus JRE Java and FFmpeg.

I can physically hear the drives, so not just relying on the log. Just tried disconnecting the ethernet cables for a while and that made no difference.

Back
Top Bottom