NAS no good for me, so it's NAS-PC time

Associate
I've been running a home server for a while, which acts as backup and streaming as well as the odd bit of downloading.

Tried to go NAS with it, but it seems most NAS devices require me to use Ext file systems which would require reformatting and I can't do that.

So, I'm looking to replace my Lian Li Q08 with a small box that holds plenty of drives!

Running an ITX board, but will to use a matx case as long as it's fairly small. I'd like some capacity so looking for (ideally) space for 1 x 3.5 as O/S drive as well as upto 4x 3.5 for storage (running 2 at the moment). Of these I'd love 2 of them to be hot-swap in 5.25 bays so I can pull a drive and take it when I go away (frequently). Drives will be mirrored (probably not raid, but through copying HDD contents).

Looking for black, cheap and silent! What's around?

4x drives is an aspiration... However since I've only filled 1.5tb out of 3tb, It will be a while before I need 4. So my current 2 drive setup will fit find into the CM.

I'm running an Dual core intel atom board. I'll put a 5.25->3.5 converter in the bay which will allow me to remove the drive when required. Doesn't actually have to be hot-swap, it just needs to be easy-remove.

Back
Top Bottom