Need a Cooler Re-think

Associate
Had purchase an Artic Freezer III 360 but compatibility issues means I will need to move to an Air Cooler.
I have no intent to overclock - it's a Ryzen 9 7900X, but if I did it would be mild overclocking not flat out, so Air cooler should be fine.

I looked at the compatibility list for my Motherboard - Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master each of the air coolers listed below is stated as compatible.
Case is Fractal Design Define 7 so no issues with maximum height.

Came to a short list based on Top 10 reviews etc ... any advice which to get (or not to get) ? I do not want any RGB lights

BeQuietDark Rock Pro 5
Deep CoolAS500 Plus
Deep CoolAK620 zero Dark
NoctuaNH-D15 G2
ThermalrightPeerless Assasin

The Noctua is about 50% more than the others so probably not a serious consideration.

Last edited:
I have a NH D15 (not the G2) as a carry over part from my old 6700k build with my 7800X3D and that works really well. I've seen good reviews on similar coolers like the Phantom Spirit which is quite a lot cheaper.

Not sure how good the fans are long term on the Phantom Spirit but the Noctua ones on my cooler are still perfectly happy at nearly 8 years old.

Another vote for the Thermalright Phantom Spirit PS120 here. I have a Thermalright Peerless Assassin PA120 SE and have been using it for around 20 months now and it's been faultless. It's quiet and cools extremely well, often beating coolers that cost two to three times the price. I shall be transferring it over to my B650E/7800x3d upgrade when it arrives tomorrow. Should you prefer a all black cooler with even better fans there's the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 Evo for £42. Another option is the Thermalright FC140 with it's 5x 8mm heatpipes. Toms Hardware described it as the best performance per dollar air cooler that they have ever tested and it's even cheaper now at less than £32. The downside is that the fans can be noisy on this one unless you limit their rpm. There is absolutely no need to spend any extra on something else and they even come with a full tube of their excellent TF7 thermal paste.

Last edited:
Thanks guys ... the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 it will be
Just looked there is Evo version .... that is described as having significantly better fans, much quieter.
Anybody know if you can get EVO without RGB lights ?

Last edited:
Just been reading several side by side reviews at max power EVO is lounder but at normal speeds its very significantly quieter ,,, and cools better.
Thanks for the help .,.. just ordered Phantom Spirit EVO still going to be only around 50% of the cost of the Artic

I've been thinking about swapping out my AIO for a thermalright cooler. Some of the reviews I've read have the frost commander being beaten by the frost spirit despite it being lower on the product stack. Apparently due to the outermost heat pipes overhanging the IHS.

Has anyone got real world experience of the FC on Ryzen 7000?
The FC can be had for less than the PA, PS and FS but not worth saving £7 for significantly worse performance.

I've been thinking about swapping out my AIO for a thermalright cooler. Some of the reviews I've read have the frost commander being beaten by the frost spirit despite it being lower on the product stack. Apparently due to the outermost heat pipes overhanging the IHS.

The FC can be had for less than the PA, PS and FS but not worth saving £7 for significantly worse performance.

Unless you're looking at cooling a 7900 or 7950 under workloads pretty much any of them will be way more than ample, the 7000 series doesn't run all that hot.

Hell, I know a few people running the £15 Thermalright Assassin King with good results on 7600's, I even have one on my 5800X3D and with a - 30 offset my temps are fine when gaming.

It'll be going on a 7700X cooler the better for clock speeds right? They keep boosting until they reach TJ max from I know there won't be a huge difference from between them just wondering if they FC Vs FS is purely an intel issue.
Thanks

Just been reading several side by side reviews at max power EVO is lounder but at normal speeds its very significantly quieter ,,, and cools better.
Thanks for the help .,.. just ordered Phantom Spirit EVO still going to be only around 50% of the cost of the Artic
Set a custom fan curve if it's to noisy for you , I would rather a few degrees increase .

I have used the Frost Commander before i went back to a AIO.

It did cool my CPU good enough but i could not get the fans to run quiet.

Think it may have been because it uses 2 different sized fans, 140mm in the middle and 120mm at the front. Years ago i had a Noctua with the same fan set up, but that came with a regulator thing to slow the 120mm down a bit. Think if i was buying now it would be the Phantom Spirit.

This could have course have be faulty fans or user error, but i used it as a excuse to get a Liquid Freezer III 360mm. :D

Back
Top Bottom