Need a CPU fan that changes speed?

Associate
I have a three year old Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard with an i7 920. It is warmer than it should be. (Idle 50C, but 82C when running Prime95.) Only slightly overclocked, BCLK=166 instead of 133, and I've just reduced it to 150 to keep the temperature down, now 47C when idle).

The cooler is a Thermalright Ultra 120 1366RT eXtreme CPU cooler with 120mm fan.

The fan speed doesn't change, it stays at 1500 - 1562 rpm. I understand that this fan is not capable of changing speed, although it does report its speed correctly to the motherboard.

Is there any way to change the fan on this cooler so that it changes speed? Would a different fan attach to the cooler? Would this help? Thanks.

Associate
OP
Some of those fans (e.g. Noctua) are slower than the current one (1500-1600). But the Noiseblocker looks good, at 2000.

How would I connect one of those fans to the Thermalright? The fan that came with it has fingers that grip the fins.

The 920 is overclocked by upping the BCLK from 133 to 166. I've turned that down to 150 for the moment. No voltage or other changes to the default settings. The cooler is well secured. I do keep it clean but your question made me take another look. I found there was dust between the CPU fan and the cooler fins. I just took it off and cleaned it. But it has not made much difference.

Associate
OP
I've cleaned everything. It is all spotless. If I start it up and go into the BIOS the CPU is 43C with the cover off. The 12GB memory puts out quite a bit of heat.

Back
Top Bottom