Need a lightweight laptop

Associate
Hi guys,

I am looking for a lightweight laptop / netbook. I have around £400 to spend, maybe more if it is worth it.

I currently go to University 1 day a week on a work placement and it will primarily be used for my coursework for use at University and home. This means it will need to have a big enough screen and easy enough to use keyboard but at the same time it must be light and portable.

I don't really know much when it comes to laptops as this will be my first so any help appreciated.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

raprotmonkey - I had noticed that Compaq earlier and looks quite nice, i would have ideally liked to purchase one tomorrow though.

bledd. - That netbook whilst looking very good is too short on battery life. It would run out of battery before a lecture is finished.

Anyone had any experience with the Dell 11z? Specs seem quite good for the price?

Soldato
No. In the thread you're referencing people are discussing whether it can take more, and the consensus was leaning towards 1gb soldered and a free slot. Much like the dell laptops. Spreading rumour as fact doesn't help anyone.

If the atom is sufficient, the samsung N510 is nice. Otherwise I'd also suggest a dell.

Soldato
I suggest one of the new Acer Timeline series, I am sitting here typing this on a 4810T Timeline right now, which is a thin, lightweight 14" model, and you can also get them in both smaller and larger formats. Thin LED backlit screen, ULV core 2 processors, 7-9 hours battery life (depending on the exact model), decent amount of ram out of the box and a decent sized 7200RPM hard drive, out of the box.

Very nice package all in all, well made, solid, much faster than a netbook and a battery life that will match the best netbooks.

http://www.acer.co.uk/timeline/

I'd have a read of a few reviews before you go out and buy a netbook, these cost more, but the one I am using cost a little under £500 and you can spend rather less than that too, I have a Samsung NC10 myself, but I think this is just a much more capable and nicer machine to use, it makes both my larger more power laptop and my netbook redundant basically.

Associate
OP
Funnily enough Moeks i was just playing around with one and was quite impressed and for a smidge under £500 seemed quite good value for money. It was light with a good sized LED screen with large battery life. Seems like i will be opting for the 4810T.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions but i feel after trying out a few that 10" will be too small for an extended period of use.

Anyone else had experience with the 4810T? Or the dell 11z? The dell seems to have good specs but cant find too much info on them.

Soldato
3410T

* Processor - Intel Celeron 723 1.2 GHz
* RAM - 3 GB (installed) 8 GB (max) - DDR3 SDRAM
* Hard Drive - 250 GB
* Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows 7 Upgrade
* Screen - 13.3 in TFT active matrix 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
* Optical Drive - None
* Bluetooth - No
* Warranty - 1 year warranty

£397
Iti isn't listed as a Timeline on their site (http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/productv...&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3007073413#wrAjaxHistory=1) but it is.

Soldato
Well it's better than an Atom, but it is a bit waek yea, depends what you compare it to really. The Core 2 solo and duo versions are better, the duo being the best of the lot and the most expensive of course, I have a SU3500 1.4GHz Core 2 Solo myself, I can assure you it is a lot faster than an Atom N270, I have an NC10 here aswell (well I shall be putting it up for sale soon, since I don't need it anymore) so I can compare them side by side.

I consider them ULV Core 2 chips as being a good compromise, the Atom is a bit too weak for my needs really, although I really do like the NC10, it's a great little machine.

Associate
I have a nc10 and a timeline 3410. Timeline is miles ahead in terms of looks, its less then 1" thick, around 1.5kg don't quote and just look amazing, very stylish. Performance was ok for internet, office apps, etc installing updates and software does use a fair amount of cpu though. Does better then the NC10 though. Battery life, 8 hours. Only got it on tuesday, installed win7 ultimate 32 bit today, works faster and better with full driver and software supported. Really impressed with it, quick on everyday tasks, perfect for uni work and web browsing. Anyone want more info, just ask.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom