Need a new PSU

Associate
So tomorrow i'm ordering my new chair and my new PC case and I'd like to get a new PSU.

(Both to get a higher efficiency PSU, a quieter one and a modular one.

I'm currently using a 9 year old Hyper 880watt PSU.

I have a Core2Duo Q9550 (2.83ghz) and an old AMD 7790.

I'm getting a new card next month 100% will be one of the new Nvidia or AMD cards not decided yet I'm going to wait for reviews.

I'll upgrade my Processor end of this year or beginning of next Zen of the new Intel ones depending on how they compare.

Sorry i don't know how to do that linky thing where you show your basket =)

I'm going to buy this one would this be a suitable PSU? (I kinda want a EVGA due to the 10yr warranty it makes it more worth it)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-029-ea.html

Associate
650W is more than enough, a 550W would be plenty. That said, the P2 650W is a very good unit and much better than a Hyper unit. If that is the same Hyper/Hiper I'm familiar with, then good job keeping it going for 9 years.

The G2 650W has a good warranty and is cheaper. It may be worth considering that unit as well.

Associate
OP
650W is more than enough, a 550W would be plenty. That said, the P2 650W is a very good unit and much better than a Hyper unit. If that is the same Hyper/Hiper I'm familiar with, then good job keeping it going for 9 years.

The G2 650W has a good warranty and is cheaper. It may be worth considering that unit as well.

Thanks, I bought (and returned the next day) a power test a few months ago for it, only one minor failure after all this time.

I don't know how good they are I don't seem to see them around anymore.

I did think a 550 would be enough but EVGA's lowest is 650 as a plat. (my current is a bronze rated I had my mind set on a Plat as a minimum.

I contemplated getting this.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silv...-titanium-modular-power-supply-ca-434-sv.html

But I don't think one grade higher is worth it for half the warranty.

Besides EVERYTHING I have heard about superflower/EVGA has been exceptional.

Anywho thanks for the help, now just gotta hope OCUK put the right stuff on offer for the new deals tomorrow, will be in for a birthday bonus then =)

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom