Need a UPS but i have no clue where to start, what size? Are they silent? Please help

Associate
So i have been getting weird problems where my pc will turn off like a powercut and i want to get a UPS to fix that. No i will have only the PC i have in my signature plugged in. Now this is where i dont really understand, i want the UPS to give my PC a nice clean supply of power but dont really care about how long it will last in a real power cut as i dont do anything critical on my pc. Would say a APC -BACK-UPS BX950U be ok for this? If not why?

And most importantly i cant have a noisy unit, i need it to be silent and i see the spec sheet states 44db.....thats SERIOUSLY loud, surely it cant be that loud?

Associate
OP
PSU will normally hold over minor spikes - anything big enough to cause it to restart would normally be noticeable as lights dim or flicker and/or other electronic devices exhibit problems. I'm not sure a UPS will solve your issue.

If the PC is suddenly turning off completely in use then it is more likely the PSU is failing, faulty RAM or a bit less likely faulty CPU or GPU.
Yes the lights do dim, its not common but it happens a few times a month i reckon, most things in the house are fine but my PC and the PC downstairs usually turns off so i was hoping a UPS would clean that up and stop it from being turned off.

Associate
OP
You'd need a UPS that is rated for the kind of actual power draw the devices are consuming - it won't matter if the UPS can only manage a few minutes of power on time. That unit looks like it is rated for 480 watt so it would probably be a bit hit and miss with a reasonable spec gaming PC if you were in the middle of a demanding game, etc.
Ok here is where my lack of knowledge lets me down, so say i got the 480watt would that give my pc clean power? As in if the power went off for a split second would that not be noticed by the pc? I dont need it for when we have a full on powercut as those are so so rare but i get the blips every so often and i dont want my pc shutting down due to "bad power" as people call it.

Associate
OP
Alarm for blackout/battery operation is no doubt louder than that in most UPSes.
But for normal mains operation off-line/line-interactive UPSes don't have reasons to keep noise.
Though some server/workstation grade line-interactive UPSes have always on fan.

I guess you would like standard UK power socket to avoid needing different cables?

APC Back-UPS has that closed plastic box insulating heat inside to cook crap capacitors of control electronics.
So wouldn't recommend those.

Cyberpower's such UPSes have some ventilation gaps:
https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/product/series/Backup UPS Systems/BRICs LCD

And just forget that VA rating used for marketing numbers.
In AC world VA and W don't mean same thing, even if being equally big units.
With power factor correction in PSUs, PC's don't have any real reactive power component, needing only watts.
So of course marketing has again started hiding actual watt ratings deeper into specs and are pushing for VAs. (especially APC)

I guess you're going to be keeping relatively high end gaming PC?
(even if not updating parts constantly)
In that case you'll want watt rating of UPS to be around 500W, so that it can handle transfer to battery during high loads.
Thanks for the reply, so the one i was looking at was the APC BX950UI which is 480watts but you said they get hot? Is that only during times of battery usage? if so that wouldnt be a big issue for me but if its always then it could be. I cant find that UPS for sale anywhere but the few places it had a price its extremely expensive, i wasnt looking to spend THAT much since its not integral, its just a nice to have item.

Associate
OP
That one is tower model with slots for some airflow.
But it has IEC sockets, so your normal power cords don't fit.
Though you really need to get IEC power cord only for PC and monitor.
It will only be used for my pc, nothing else, no monitor or any other equipment, do you think that model would be ok? the wattage is only 480 but i wonder if thats enough for my system (signature). You think that APC is a decent box for the price?

Associate
OP
I cant post the link but i seen a "Powercool Smart UPS 1200VAPowercool Smart UPS 1200VA" Which seems to be 700w, that seems plenty for my PC and nothing else, does anyone have any reason this would be a bad choice?

Associate
OP
Consider that power problems can destroy your £1200 PC and think again.
Oh i get it but you dont know how long i saved for the pc, it would takes months to get the money for a £200 UPS, i have been looking at cheaper manufacturers such as ""Powercool Smart UPS 1200VAPowercool Smart UPS 1200VA" But im not jumping into anything, do you have any opinion on that model? Thats only £70 and seems to be plenty powerful for my PC.

Associate
OP
That looks fine. It's line-interactive which is exactly what you need.
And i assume the 44db noise rating is only when the mains power goes out and the batteries kick in? Surely it wouldnt sit blasting that noise out 24/7.......i would guess its silent day to day but then noisy if charging/on battery?

Back
Top Bottom