Need help building/buying gaming PC

Associate
Hello everyone

I’m looking to get a new gaming PC, I have a budget of £2k (including screen) and want it pre-built by OCUK.

I need some advice on how the pre-building service works - I know there will be a charge for using it, but can I choose whichever components I want and send them a list or does it have to be from a predetermined list? Will they install CPU fans and change case fans etc?

Also, I’m looking for advice on which components are best for my price range, its been a good few years since I last got my PC so I’m a bit outdated :)

In the past I have had AMD graphics cards/CPUs and I have been underwhelmed by the performance. I was looking to go Intel/NVIDIA this time, but I have read about Zen2 Ryzen processors being better for gaming money-wise if not overall.

Also would like to have RBG components and a case to show it off :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Soldato
Hi Sharon welcome :)

We do our best to reply but sometimes threads do get missed. I will have a go at doing you a spec but it will have to wait until a bit later on. Just about to do some decorating.

I will tag @tamzzy just in case he is about.

With that sort of budget you will definitely get a nice system though.

Do you need any other peripherals ? i.e Mouse/Keyboard/speakers etc ?

Associate
Firstly, welcome to the forum. Sometimes it can be quite.

What sort of thing are you looking for? What games might you be playing? If you need a monitor, what resolution would you like - higher resolution might mean s beefier system.

With a 2k price range you could be looking at a good system depending on whether you need peripherals as lee32uk mentions.

:)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply’s guys! Was beginning to think there was something wrong with my post ;D

A mouse and keyboard is also needed but was keeping that separate from the 2k budget if you have any suggestions I’m all ears.

I presume I want 1440p? Is there any reason to still be using 1080p other than budget?

I guess I want the pc to beast all over cyberpunk77 but other games would be CsGo, LoL, OW, Gta5, Sc2 maybe some vanilla wow ;p

Man of Honour
Ok I've specced it as though you are going to get all the components from ocuk...left approx £150 for the custom build charge.
Though I would suggest comparing the prices of the peripherals and seeing if you should get them elsewhere for cheaper (I would)
Same with windows...if you're comfortable installing windows on your own...I'd suggest saving a wad of cash and getting it elsewhere.
Headset not really needed if you don't want can remove
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,879.74 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
Ok I've specced it as though you are going to get all the components from ocuk...left approx £150 for the custom build charge.
Though I would suggest comparing the prices of the peripherals and seeing if you should get them elsewhere for cheaper (I would)
Same with windows...if you're comfortable installing windows on your own...I'd suggest saving a wad of cash and getting it elsewhere.
Headset not really needed if you don't want can remove
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,879.74 (includes shipping: £0.00)
Good solid 1440p system
Windows I would remove and borrow a cd and buy a key somewhere.
The monitor too can be same spec for far less elsewhere

Man of Honour
Windows I would remove and borrow a cd and buy a key somewhere.
The monitor too can be same spec for far less elsewhere
Indeed I would too :)

Associate
OP
Thank you for your time on creating this spec :)

taking away all peripherals the win 10 and the build price would be saving 400 - 450, where in this current spec would the cash be best putting back in to make it even better? :D

was also hoping for some more RBG via fans and ram or is this out of the question with the budget?

thanks again to all who are helping! <3

Man of Honour
where in this current spec would the cash be best putting back in to make it even better? :D
The GPU.

For out-and-out gaming, 9700k is also an alternative as it has better single core performance. But you lose an extra 8 threads.
Personally would go with the ryzen 3700x for extra flexibility at the expense of a bit of gaming performance...but can be argued either way...no right or wrong answer

Man of Honour
Pointless, but that's what it's desired lol we should help
most won't know what they want :p
tbh re: rgb bling-bling i suspect the novelty will get old pretty quickly and it'll get turned off or left alone to be ignored. might as well suggest to get better internal components that will make a difference to performance.
as i keep saying, when using the computer, one doesn't look at all the case lighting...lol

Lol, it’s ok I’m looking to upgrade to 2080ti so I’m gonna ignore the RBG stuff
2080ti isn't a wise investment.
price/perf-wise (aka value) 5700xt is top, followed by 2070 super

Code:
card model:    performance %:    price £:     price % of 2080 super:      price/performance ratio relative to 2080S:

5700XT            79                380            54                                 1.46
2070 super        88                480            67                                 1.31
2080              94                620            89                                 1.06
2080 super        100               699           100                                 1.00
2080ti            116               990           142                                 0.82
(table updated today - with prices on the specific card i'd spec)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
RBG is a preference you either like it or not I personally have always had bling beaming out of my pc and keep it on but more performance is more important :)

the table you show is suggesting the 2080s?

Back
Top Bottom