Need help cpu cooler touching gpu backplate

There needs be space or at least insulation between GPU PCB backside and CPU. The back of PCB is not 'grounded'
It is a Printed Circuit Board with all kinds of current flowing through the circuits with no insulation to stop something touching it from shorting and possible damaging things.

Cardboard is good, but I prefer a piece of flat plastic like cut from a take-out container top or bottom taped to the side of cooler. Thinner and less chance some pointy thing on back of GPU PCB can poke a hole in it.

Probably the cheapest, easiest and invisible way to do it would be to use some black electricians insulation tape, most people have a roll of this laying around I'd have thought? even if you don't they aren't expensive.

A few neatly applied strips to the back plate would be completely unnoticeable.

How comes you havent water cooled the CPU, looks like you've got some custom water on the GPU so i'm not sure why you wouldnt add the CPU to the loop and use a much smaller waterblock to cool it.

Move it down a slot if I were you, as long as you have another available 16x there is no downside.

There's not only electrical safety to consider but also vibration.
Exactly!
Combined to the often ilttle pointy bits sticking out of the solder on the back of PCBs, whatever is used to insulate between them and cooler needs to be structurally able to keep those pointy bits from being able to poke through and short out on cooler. ;)

Which is why I usually use flat plastic of of something like a takeout container or flat face/ back of a CD/DVD/BR case :D

There's not only electrical safety to consider but also vibration.

And don't forget the heat transfer... My EKWB back plate gets f'ing hot, I personally wouldn't want that heat transferring directly on to my CPU heat sink. Basically if your board allows move it down, I can see you have another PCI card under it so potentially swap them if the lanes are all x16.

How comes you havent water cooled the CPU, looks like you've got some custom water on the GPU so i'm not sure why you wouldnt add the CPU to the loop and use a much smaller waterblock to cool it.

Move it down a slot if I were you, as long as you have another available 16x there is no downside.

My cpu block had a leak, so while i waiting for a new one, i thought i would try air, as never been air cooled before.

The other 3 slots on my board run @x8 and x4

Exactly!
Combined to the often ilttle pointy bits sticking out of the solder on the back of PCBs, whatever is used to insulate between them and cooler needs to be structurally able to keep those pointy bits from being able to poke through and short out on cooler. ;)

GPU has a backplate though

Backplates get really hot. Are any of these ideas good? They will likely melt the plastic and set free to the cardboard? Having the CPU cooler touch the backplate could be 2 things - bad for CPU heat, good for the backplate heat? Maybe?

Back
Top Bottom