Need help figuring out if i'm going deaf or my schiit stack has a problem

Soldato
Hi,

I've hooked up and schiit modi multibit/magni 3 to my pc, via a asus xonar essence stx but the sound levels i'm getting out of it are so poor i figure i'm either going deaf (which i doubt), i've got issues with the multibit/magni 3 or i've totally misunderstood what i should be getting from the setup.

I've also tried it hooked up to onboard sound, this is all via the optical input.

using foobar 2000 as the media player, i have the app volume at 100%, pc sound is at 100% and the amp is around 3-4 o'clock on the dial, but the volumes isn't what i would call loud.

headphones i've using are the akg k7xx and hifiman he400i

Am i missing something obvious ?

cheers,

mark

Soldato
OP
tried hi gain, noticed it was a giving a little more, but the music sounded a bit "duller".

connected to on board sound and no difference.

will look into trying usb, just need to find a cable that fits.

Soldato
OP
managed to get hold of a usb cable, not any noticeable difference to the other connections.

the digital output is selected from what i can see.

might just be me, but with the extra added hardware i wouldn't expect to have the volume on max for the app/pc to get decently loud music, am i expecting to much for what the stack can provide ?

Soldato
OP
What is the volume level like compared to connecting the headphones to the Xonar?

slighlty better, but not enough to make much difference, wanted more for the headphones and saw the recommendations around here and elsewhere on the stack.

Using my Multibit & Magni 3 stack with my HE400i and DT1990, the volume is set to around 10 o'clock on low gain and it's plenty loud enough.

if i had that setting i'd be able to hear the music but it wouldn't be loud enough to enjoy.

what setting do you have the music app & pc set to for the 10 o'clock levels ?

what apps are people using to listen to their music ?

Soldato
OP
you'll want the music app / windows volume (digital) set to 100% so that the Modi Multibit gets the full input signal. Volume would then be adjusted on the Magni 3 in the analogue domain.

ahhh ok, cheers for that.

Best way to find out if it's the PC causing the problem (assuming there is one), would be to connect the Schiit stack to anything with optical out; TV or DVD/BD player for example.

haven't got anything to try :(, will see if i can borrow something.

Soldato
OP
at my age my ears are shot, didn't have all this health and safety involved at concerts when i was a youngster :D

i'm not talking about wanting it that loud, i'm just after enough that i'm comfortable with it and the listening is enjoyable.

i have speakers that i use for background noise, but when i want to really enjoy my music i slap the headphones on and turn the volume up, it's the reason i've spent a little money on getting something put together that i was hoping would help.

i know my range isn't great but not aware that its overall that bad, can hear what people say most the time, as long as they don't mumble, without having to resort to "Eh ??, what did you say........" :)

Back
Top Bottom