Hi there,

Spec-

ASUS P4S8X
P4 2.4GHZ 478
1x512mb PC2700
60GB IDE HD
FSP 350W PSU
ATI 9800 PRO with Artic Silencer

Ok, all was working fine, I had the CPU overclocked at 2.54ghz. The comp booting at stayed at a black screen, out of nowhere. I went back into bios and set all to default then it booted, but when I try to login i get a BSOD. I checked all connections and all seemed fine. It came out of nowhere.

Anyhelp?

Permabanned
OP
Its been working fine for months with that PSU.

Reset CMOS (turned pc off then I used the jumper thingy). Now when it turns on it hangs, and i get a message saying in bios that the comp is hanging due to improper cpu speed. but ive set it to default!!!

Permabanned
OP
Yeah but I actually set it to default speeds myself too. I also reset CMOS before and this did not happen.

Do I have to pull the plug out and switch off the socket when i reset cmos?

Permabanned
OP
Ok I reset CMOS properly and same thing. The system will just hang on multiple restarts but I got into the BIOS after a while and it said I had an improper CPU frequency again. I set it to the lowest setting that was there and it still did not boot up.

Is the PC dead? Its a 3year+ old machine.

Thanks guys

Permabanned
OP
Well it definatly resetting IMO.

I turned off PC, turned off the switch at socket and then took the battery out for around 15 seconds and took out the jumper and placed it on the other slot too. I then returned the power and realised that the jumper was at the wrong place, so i set it about putting it back in the correct position.

I then tryed to reboot and did it multiple times, no use, nothing happend just a black screen and the HD light stayed on.

I finally got into bios and selected LOAD DEFAULT settings and still, i got a message saying I have an improper CPU frequency! I SET IT TO MINIMUM! THE SLOWEST!

Argh.

Permabanned
OP
What do you mean as it should be?

I have set it to the default settings? That means almost all things are on auto.

BIOS battery? I should replace it? That should sort it out?

Permabanned
OP
It only boots after I pull the plug out and put it back in, then it goes into bios and tells me about the wrong cpu frequency, when I select exit it then just stays black (hangs). If I restart, it hangs. I have to pull the plug out and try again to get back into bios.

Im really lost now. Its an old pc but i would like to get it working.

Permabanned
OP
Dont I need to get into windows to flash the bios?

Also can I stress this happend out of nowhere.

Reset the CPU? Will that do anything? (Not trying to say your wrong). But I cant see how that will help. Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom