need help with 6800gt cooling/oc

Associate
:confused: I am busy overclocking a pair of XFX 6800gt's in sli mode and have taken the overclock to 401Mhz core & 1.1Ghz mem using standard gpu coolers (becomes unstable above this point). I want to overclock further but can anybody recomend improved cooling for the video cards. I'm not loaded so a dangerden cooling kit is out. What results have you all achieved and how did you keep things from frying? Cheers.

MB: Asus A8nsli deluxe, 1GB DDR corsair value select, Akasa 62 case with 2 amber series fans, AMD 64 4000 Cpu, stock coolers(@the moment), 2 * Raptors 74GB, hooked on BF2.

Soldato
not sure if they will fit but i would imagine only way would be some zalman vf900 things, otherwise watercooling all the way. maze do some low profile gpu coolers which are perfect for the sli, then just have a 120 mm fan blowing over the cards should get u sorted with the good enough cooling.

Soldato
The Asus's's's mobos have got a lot more room between the SLi slots that some others, you should be able to fit a vf900 on there and it would certainly help - awesome little coolers.

From their site it's only 30mm high - so get measuring!

Caporegime
A zalman will fit fine, i have a fau1ty (whatever the spelling is) on a 6800GT with the same mobo and its pretty good especially at 5v where it cools better than the stock cooler and is quieter.

Soldato
BF2 is a serious ram hog. I found my ram was holding me back with a 6800gt so i figured yours must be too.
Glad its all creamy smooth now, as least as far as it can be. ;)

Soldato
I've always liked the arctic cooling vga silencers myself. Just watch for other components like voltage regulators getting too hot, because the ac silencers don't blow much air onto the rest of the card. The advantage of this is you don't get 70c+ air blown all over your case like the zalman coolers.

Be aware that fitting an alternative cooler voids your warranty.

Back
Top Bottom