Need help with video artifacts

Soldato
I did a search but couldnt find anything similar, I've recently built a new PC, and I've started getting graphics artifacts. Kinda difficult to explain but I'll try anyway!

I get a vertical bar made up of a series of horizontal bars about 1/3 from the right side of the screen, its about 1 inch wide, although occasionally some of the horizontal bars stretch right across the screen.

It only seems to happen when a certain area of the screen has a light colour, eg a white web page, or the sky/bright lights etc in games.

I've tried downgrading my gfx driver, but that has made no difference, and I have the latest drivers for my monitor.

I tried to take a screenshot, but it doesn't appear on any I have made so far, which is leading me to believe its a problem with either my monitor or the connection.

The setup is as follows:

Powercolor X1800XT 512MB Crossfire Edition -> DVI to VGA converter -> VGA lead -> Belinea 102035w 20.1" widescreen TFT

I'm running this on a sapphire pure advantage crossfire, although with only 1 card currently.

The artifact is always in the same place, and I was wonderring if it could be a corruption caused by the DVI -> VGA converter, or a fault with the monitor, the other possibility I guess could be heat - the northbridge heatsink on the motherboard seems to get very hot. The gfx card should be ok, its water cooled and rarely gets above 30c, although one of the chips isnt covered by the cooler. I've put a passive heatsink and a temperature probe on this chip, and the highest i've ever seen it go is 32c. Increasing the airflow in my case by turning up the fans doesn't seem to make any difference to the problem either.

This is my full system, incase it could be something else.

Athlon64x2 4200+
2gb Corsair DDR 3200 Dual Channel Kit
Sapphire Pure Advantage Crossfire Motherboard
Powercolor X1800XT 512MB Crossfire Edition
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum ZS
4x WD Caviar 120gb Sata (in raid 0)

Apologies for the long post - trying to give as much info as possible.

Back
Top Bottom