Need opinions

Man of Honour
Since getting my bike I've changed all the plastics pretty much from the stock silver to carbon fibre.

Now I can't decide whether I want to keep the tank as it is or change it for a black one, what are people's thoughts?

r8VUbzl.jpg

Associate
Think you need someone who's a bit handy with photoshop to give you an idea.

Looking at it, the tank does sort of look out of place with all the carbon, but.. if it were my bike I'd keep the tank in that colour.

Nice bike either way :) I had the 675 R in that colour back in 2014, so I'm biased!

DSC-0003.jpg

Soldato
I mean 100% in my opinion, would look better with a black tank.

But up to you how much you value the aesthetics Vs cost and hassle to do it.

Could you not respray it? Something that size, given the location that you can easily get to it I'd give that a go myself, I wouldn't even bother taking it in off just mask everything off.

Soldato
Could probably get an old 675 tank of fleabay for ~100 quid....

Personally, with the Trumpet CF tank pad, black stomp grips and R&G tank sliders on it - it will cover up just the right amount of silver, to make it look more in keeping with the rest of the bike imo. The silver tank also looks right (to me) considering the tripleclamp/headstock is also silver...

Could always go for one of those 'sexy' leather tanks covers some folks fit :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
A quick and dirty PS is a good idea. I quite like the contrast but can't decide if it would be improved with a black tank.

I can pick up a black tank for £150ish and I'm happy to swap it over myself so it's not a major outlay and much less hassle/cost than paint/wrapping (Quoted £300 to wrap the tank if I dropped it off at the local place :eek: :eek:) the existing tank.

@Scort that's a good shout, it's already got a nice big real CF tank pad on and I did eye up the CF sliders when I first bought it. Those leather things are even worse than "Polite" vests :eek: :D

Soldato
@Scort that's a good shout, it's already got a nice big real CF tank pad on and I did eye up the CF sliders when I first bought it. Those leather things are even worse than "Polite" vests :eek: :D

Those official tank pads are big! Had one on my Daytona, and got another for the RS - but it doesn't fit boooooo! So it's sat in the garage collecting dust.

I have a couple of dings on my tank, and the sliders will cover them nicely - but I've not hit the button yet as they were like £70 last time I looked :eek:

Those tank covers always looked a bit too S&M to me, even when people had them in red for a Duke, they still looked pretty saucy lol

Man of Honour
OP
Those official tank pads are big! Had one on my Daytona, and got another for the RS - but it doesn't fit boooooo! So it's sat in the garage collecting dust.

I have a couple of dings on my tank, and the sliders will cover them nicely - but I've not hit the button yet as they were like £70 last time I looked :eek:

Those tank covers always looked a bit too S&M to me, even when people had them in red for a Duke, they still looked pretty saucy lol
There's a guy on eBay same place I got my tank pad from that does the sliders for £45 which is a much more sensible price, can't see any 765 ones on his shop but might be worth dropping him a message "sms-raceparts".

The tank pad I got from him is really nice quality.

Man of Honour
The current colour looks OK to me. I do think black would look marginally better. But for the money and effort for a marginal difference I personally wouldn't bother.

Man of Honour
OP
The current colour looks OK to me. I do think black would look marginally better. But for the money and effort for a marginal difference I personally wouldn't bother.
You're talking to a man that has spent £lol on carbon fibre parts just because :p :D but yes in sensible thinking mode you're not wrong and I'll probably end up going down the sliders and tank grips route just to break up the silver a little bit.

Soldato
does look a bit weird in silver now. black or red would possibly suite better?

like said, good quality tank grips can really change how the bike looks too.

hwBZySH.jpg

7nnYqwM.jpg

Associate
Personally I'm not a fan of black paint next to carbon fiber. The tank / swingarm you can get away with as they are textured, but the tank? Not so sure.

I think stick with a contrasting color, the silver works, as it breaks things up, and as others have said above, carbon trimmings may help break up the block of silver if that's what you're not happy with.

I was thinking red, maybe but then I think you'll lose the effect of the wheels / accents.

Or stop being cheap, go the whole hog and get a carbon tank. :D

Soldato
One thing to be aware of OP is that if you do decide to paint the tank black, if the colour doesn't match the carbon fibre you may percieve it as looking weird/off.

Man of Honour
OP
Red looks awesome...dammit!

Looks like I might be on the look out for a paint shop in the near future. This place costs me far too much money :o

Back
Top Bottom