Need quick help buying NEW XPS M1530

Associate
Hi, looking for some help, does this look like a good deal below?

XPS M1530 CORE 2 DUO T8100 2.10GHz
English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium
System Price Price incl. VAT excl. del: £547.70
spacer
Operating System: English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium
Memory: Memory 4096MB (2x2048) 800MHz DDR2
Hard Disk Drive: Hard Drive 320GB SATA (5400rpm)
Video: ASSY, BASE 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT
NoteBook Screen: Display LCD 15.4 WXGA
Modem: Modem not included
CD Read-Write Drive: DVD+/-RW (8X)
Software: BT, AOL, Tiscali ISP Combination
System Color: CCFL backcover black & 2.0mp camera
MISC: Image Restore - Vista
MS Vista Premium Logo Label NB (small
Vista OnLine Getting Started Guide (WW
Intel 4965WLAN Mini-Card EUR
Battery XPS Primary 9-cell 85WHr Li-Ion
Internal Keyboard Uk/Irish (QWERTY)

Associate
OP
Cheers, trying to keep it in the checkout basket as long as poss, thinking of buying it from the factory outlet, just need some convincing it's a good deal.

Soldato
DONT BUY DELL!!!!!!!!!! theyre horrible and the customer services if you ever need them are the worlds worst

Really? I have never had a problem with Dell, with my 50 servers at work nor the multitude of desktops/laptops I manage.

They even sent a new keyboard out to my sister, afters hers broke outside of warrenty, so that is hardly a sign of bad customer service.

The fact of the matter is, every large company has bad and good stories, Dell, HP, PCWorld, CityLink, DHL, OCUK, etc the list goes on.

If the OP is happy with that he is looking at buying then let him be

Kimbie

Associate
Really? I have never had a problem with Dell, with my 50 servers at work nor the multitude of desktops/laptops I manage.

They even sent a new keyboard out to my sister, afters hers broke outside of warrenty, so that is hardly a sign of bad customer service.

The fact of the matter is, every large company has bad and good stories, Dell, HP, PCWorld, CityLink, DHL, OCUK, etc the list goes on.

If the OP is happy with that he is looking at buying then let him be

Kimbie

I agree with, all the large companies have a small % of unhappy users, but the happy users far outweight this percentage by a verty big margin.

Purchased my M1530 back in Feb and still more than happy with it. Had to call Dell out in the early days and it was dealt with very efficiently... So I'm happy.

Caporegime
the 8600GT is a done model now. its plagued with heat/production issues...

basically no way would i spend £700 on a laptop like that...

there are so many other options, incluing MUCH cheaper laptops with Radeo HD 3650 or 9600GS or 9600GT...all offer more performance. or better reliability.

Soldato
I would hardly call that an article, its more a rant, with no understanding of paragraphs.

You are blaming dell for problems on a machine you bought on ebay, you do not mention in your so called article what warrenty you had with the laptop if any at all, nor the age of it.

And unless you got a good deal on your laptop from ebay, why did you not buy direct from Dell as the 400 you spend on ebay would have got you a decent one from Dell.

Kimbie

Associate
the 400 on dells website would have got me nothing, i dont think they even make a non gaming laptop for £400, the laptop was out of warranty, and who else do i blame for the bad design that caused a laptop in a well ventilated area to melt part of itself? and who do i blame for the crappy support service? this is not just a problem i have had many people have had a similar experiance, and who gives a crap i called it an article but did not punctuate it properly?

Soldato
Dell do laptops under £400, so you bought a laptop that was out of warrenty and Dell wanted to charge you to fix it, just as any company would do. Item out of warrenty charge to fix.

So yes you may have had a bad experince, but there is no need to try and put people off with your out landish comments. Would you still buy from OCUK if you had been told horror stories? If you wouldnt due to horror stories, then you might as well never buy anything again, as all companies, if you look you will find horror stories about X, Y, Z

Kimbie

Soldato
i do think your being rather anti-dell chuck990. fair play you've had a bad experience, i understand that but dell do cheap laptops that are decent in most people's eyes.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with Dells. Have had a Dell lappy for the last 4 years now that's been constantly moved from one end of the country to the other, and no problems whatsoever. Only downer is the battery which gave up the ghost after 2 years and Dell refused to replace it under the 3 year warranty because they class it as a consumable item.

You can't brand an entire company and every single one of their products simply based on one person's experience.

Getting back to the original thread, £550 for a M1530 is a very good price - you won't find that spec for the M1530 much cheaper.

However, M1530 technology is getting a bit old now, and as an alternative you may want to consider one of the following depending on your requirements:-

1. HP DV5-1010 (9600GT 256 DDR2) ~ £699
2. Acer 5930G (9600GT 512 DDR3) ~ £599
3. Samsung R560 (9600GS DDR2) ~ £649

Obviously the Acer offers most bang for bucks and will be significantly faster than the 8600GT in the M1530 :) but you may prefer the styling, build, keyboard etc of the one of the others.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with Dells. Have had a Dell lappy for the last 4 years now that's been constantly moved from one end of the country to the other, and no problems whatsoever. Only downer is the battery which gave up the ghost after 2 years and Dell refused to replace it under the 3 year warranty because they class it as a consumable item.

You can't brand an entire company and every single one of their products simply based on one person's experience.

Getting back to the original thread, £550 for a M1530 is a very good price - you won't find that spec for the M1530 much cheaper.

However, M1530 technology is getting a bit old now, and as an alternative you may want to consider one of the following depending on your requirements:-

1. HP DV5-1010 (9600GT 256 DDR2) ~ £699
2. Acer 5930G (9600GT 512 DDR3) ~ £599
3. Samsung R560 (9600GS DDR2) ~ £649

Obviously the Acer offers most bang for bucks and will be significantly faster than the 8600GT in the M1530 :) but you may prefer the styling, build, keyboard etc of the one of the others.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...le-macbook-pros-have-nvidia-bad-bump-material

I think I'd go with a ATI gfx in a laptop until Nvidia sort out these issues.

Soldato
Heres the best advise i can give..... DONT!!!!! go to http://geeks.pirillo.com/forum/topics/dell-why-not-to-bother

and read an article i wrote there

Honest to god i would rather kiss James May (off top gear) than buy another dell!

Lets do a deal. You rewrite that so its readable and I'll read it.

Dell mass produce machines. There are going to bad machines here and there if you are making millions of them. Same with any mass produced product. Bad luck you got a bad one. On average I find Dell OK. Learn how do deal with support, and move on.

Associate
hey im just giving advise on my opinion, i know im beig anti-dell.. it's deliberate i know lots of you disagree but i still think he deserves to know how bad they can be and to Nikumba mt problem wasnt that they wouldnt fix an out of warranty system its that THEY broke it whilst fixing it and then just said tough bannana which is against UK law! The law states that a if repairman causes any damage, no matter how slight, to a machine they're fixing they are obliged to fix it free of charge!

Soldato
This is your story. Its makes no sense.

Bought a second hand laptop on ebay
1 week later the graphics card melted,
Guy on ebay fixed it
3 months later graphics card melted again
IT guy at my school got fixed at a local shop for free
4 months later graphics card melted again
Decided to go Dell who replied £250 to replace it
Replacement had several problems
Tried dell again, £425 for a new motherboard

If the machine is under warranty why did you get other people to "fix" it. How did they fix it for free. If you got a replacement for 250 (gfx, motherboard or laptop I have no idea) why would Dell charge you £450 to fix it? The replacement laptop or part should be still under warranty. The original machine is most likey not under warranty, and even it was you invalidated it by getting other people to fix it.

Thats just a crazy way to do things.

Back
Top Bottom