Need recommendation on Headphones Plz

Soldato
Hi

think its about time to upgrade my sound on my pc, unfortunately because the family will not tolerate a large sound system( specially as no one really likes classical music), so its headphones for me. After a little research i have just become more confused on what to get, i am very new to all these terms of bass, treble, open closed and so on. I practically on listen to only classical music, games and some movies and all this is via some cheap sony headphones that was given to me, only one of the earphones work :o :o

so really need a very good headphones with excellent sound quality, that is good for classical music(specially Vivaldi) and games, and some movies.

my budget is £100 and only if i had to £150, and that is only if the sound quality would be amazing for that price, considering i was on some cheap cheap cheap earphones(never even knew that head phones could be that expensive). Also i don't have a separate sound card on my pc at the moment, was thinking of getting Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music - Retail (SC-034-CL), but this would come after i get the earphones or would it be better to get a separate amp or something??

so i have narrowed it down to

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro studio / broadcast headphones £79.99

Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium audiophile headphones £130-140

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Headphones DT880 £159

Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium audiophile headphones £199 (heard this is best for classical)???<--- only if i REALLLLLLLY had to.

i have not got a clue what the difference between premium and pro means, but which would be best to get, i would want something best for classical,games but the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium is £200 :eek: . Would any of the above even work with an onboard sound card?? also what does semi-open mean??

anything else anyone would recommend? as you have gathered i am a NOVICE when it comes to music equipment.

thanks for any help. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for all your help guys

@TooNice

thank for you imput mate, it seems that its going to be out - DT880 old and Sennheiser HD650 for me then, but a question that i have is would the sound quality of the HD650 be much better than the DT880, if not then i would just get a DT880 and a sound card. I dont mind paying for the HD650 only if its much better for classical and games. are the HD650 confortable to wear for long periods??

also are all these headsets surround sound?

also could i just get a amp and cables rather than the sound card, or would i need both for best sound quality?

thanks again

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
guys thanks for all your inputs, i really appreciate it, although slightly confused now as where to go from here,

i need a little explanations if its possible,

have decided to get the Sennheiser HD650 only because they are good for classical music( found them for £169 on the bay + £12 delivery, i hope they are the rite ones) but now confused as how to proceed, i hope i would not be disappointed with these cans as many of you call them. So hear is the confusing part.

Do i need to get a sound card + AMP + DAC??

what is a DAC? is it really Needed? or can i just get a AMP and not get the other 2, and use the onbaord sound card instead + the AMP.

or can i get away withthe AMP and DAC only??

also what is a good AMP for about £100 or have looked on the net for HeadRoom Micro Desktop but cannot find a uk supplier or a price, have also looked at the CMOY amps but what the hell are they? they look like altoid sweets tin cans???

Found Cmoy amps for about £40 delivered from the us, that is well cheap are they any good? can i get this and not the sound card instead?

Also please could you recommend me a good sound card, as i am getting mixed responses in regards to the x-fi series.

think i have to split this purchase into 2 bits, headphone + 1 other item and then any other further purchases.

wow i never ever knew music could be so expensive, i am shocked :eek: . there are places selling £2000 dvd players, £7000 amp, and £3000+ pre-amps and a loooooooooads of other stuff. you need to spend about £50 grand to get the best setup and frankly i would put up a bit more and buy a ferrari. :)

thanks guys and sorry for so many questions i really appreciate all the help

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks everyone for all your help, sorry for the late reply have had serious computer problems, but just one last thing if you dont mind

@TooNice
thanks for all your help, things are a lot more clear now and because of your post have made up my mind kinda now,

Sound Card (as transport) -> Dedicated DAC (as source) -> Dedicated Amp -> Headphone.

this is the setup i will aim for, but will first get headphone and soundcard.

headphones is HD650 but i am still not sure on the sound card, have decided to get a X-fi but which one should i get,

X-Fi Xtreme Music, X-Fi Platinum or X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition since there is not much # between them,although would prefer the cheapest if it does not make much difference. i know you mentioned that the pro version is best with a dedicated DAC, but do i really need it as i am going to be getting them seperate in the very near future anyway?

thanks a lot m8t :) :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
big thanks to everyone who gave me advice, here.

when i get it all up and running, i will let you know how it goes but it will be after my exams(not long left). I really hope the sound is great.

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom