:: need some advice - mobo died! :(

Soldato
hi all.

ok, so my mobo for my 1600xp athlon has died and im looking at replacing it/other bits.

i have an ati 9700np, 512 of ddr 3200, and an athlon 1600xp, ide drives. Now, i dont use the pc that much any more (i work with them!) so im not really interested in games etc any more (esp with ps3 round the corner)

so,

what route should i go? im out of touch as i have had this pc running sweet for 4 years now. what are the celerons like compared to the p4s? what are semperons like compared to athlon 64? is dual channel really worth it?

what im really saying is that for someone who mainly uses his pc for backing up dvds, some freelance web design and some 2d work in photoshop, should i just get a semperon system that i can use my old memory with?

thanks all!

Something like the asrock dual sata with agp with pcie slot and an a64 3000 venice would do the job nicely.Your agp card will work with it,as will memory.Its a pretty cheap upgrade and a nice performance boost.
Another option is one of those new dual core pentium d for £79 which has an unbelievable overclock.
You could always track down another xp board and you`re good to go if you`re happy with what you have.
You`re not really after a blistering system so i wouldn`t worry about the processor side except to say at least go with the a64/pentium route rather than celeron for example.
My mate bought one of those package deal pcs with a 2.6 celeron and was disgusted by the speed of it(especially encoding dvds).
I put it in a 3 ghz p4 and it made a huge difference to encoding etc.I think you`d be happier with an all round faster system,and you don`t need to spend a bomb either.

went for one of the semperon bundles in the end.

£90.85 x 1 - AMD Athlon Sempron 64 2800 Retail / Abit K8U-X / 512MB OcUK PC3200 Value - Bundle (BU-023-OK)
£0.00 x 1 - OcUK Value 512MB PC3200 184pin DDR Memory (MY-002-OK)
£0.00 x 1 - AMD Sempron 64 2800+ 1.6GHz (Socket 754) CPU - Retail (CP-138-AM)
£0.00 x 1 - Asus K8U-X ULI M1689 (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-123-AS)

should be perfect for me as i just dont use the pc like i used to (im sick of looking at them after working as a developer for the last 6 years!!!! ;))

whats the betting that i decide to play games now tho eh? :)

Your credit card must have been holstered ready lol.
Nice bundle there now don`t spoil it by getting into games :eek:..too late.. :D
Hows the developing side going? do you have an interesting job?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom