Need some advice selecting/matching an amp to go with my Q acoustics speakers

Associate
Hi there.

I have Q-acoustics 3020i speakers, and 3070s subwoofer.

Any suggestions to which amplifier/receiver would be a good match?

The Sub only has an RCA connection. I think it was intended as part of a 5.1 package, but I'm only interested in stereo for music.. I just wanted the extra bass that the speakers couldn't provide!
Is there a good amplifier with a dedicated sub output I should consider?
Any advice welcome!

Up to £400.. maybe 500!
Used or new, I don't mind! I'm always keen to grab a 2nd hand bargain
Also do you need streaming? Are you planing to go home cinema in the future? What sort of music do you listen to and how old are your ears

Typically stereo amps are better than receivers for music but not all offer streaming capabilites. Marantz matches well with q acoustics. Personally if you can wait I would wait until black friday if you're planing to buy new with regards to used ones I would have to look whats available.

Hi there.

I have Q-acoustics 3020i speakers, and 3070s subwoofer.

Any suggestions to which amplifier/receiver would be a good match?

The Sub only has an RCA connection. I think it was intended as part of a 5.1 package, but I'm only interested in stereo for music.. I just wanted the extra bass that the speakers couldn't provide!
Is there a good amplifier with a dedicated sub output I should consider?
Any advice welcome!
I have these speakers as part of my PC setup. So basically the 3020i are a warm sounding speaker. Very easy to listen to easy enough to drive. For synergy I would be looking to audition with an amp which has a clean presenation to make the 3020i into a nice all rounded sounding affair. I would avoid partnering with warm sounding or an amp with a dark presentation as it will dull it even more.

Go into richer sounds or a reputable dealer and ask them to use a set of 3020i and try a few different amps to see which sounds right to your ears. Use music which you are familar with intimately to listen for nuances between the amps.

Samyboy mentioned Marantz amps. I have used a shedload of Marantz amps. The newer amps are a better match than the really old ones as they are extremely warm sounding. The newer ones by comparison are way cleaner and less tonally coloured than their older brethren. This would balance nicely with teh 3020i. But the older models are stupidly warm sounding so unless you specifically want that type of sound I would avoid that. While Marantz are not my first choice for the 3020i I do use one currently to drive the 3020i. I use a HD-Amp1 which I picked up years ago.

I have these speakers as part of my PC setup. So basically the 3020i are a warm sounding speaker. Very easy to listen to easy enough to drive. For synergy I would be looking to audition with an amp which has a clean presenation to make the 3020i into a nice all rounded sounding affair. I would avoid partnering with warm sounding or an amp with a dark presentation as it will dull it even more.

Go into richer sounds or a reputable dealer and ask them to use a set of 3020i and try a few different amps to see which sounds right to your ears. Use music which you are familar with intimately to listen for nuances between the amps.

Samyboy mentioned Marantz amps. I have used a shedload of Marantz amps. The newer amps are a better match than the really old ones as they are extremely warm sounding. The newer ones by comparison are way cleaner and less tonally coloured than their older brethren. This would balance nicely with teh 3020i. But the older models are stupidly warm sounding so unless you specifically want that type of sound I would avoid that. While Marantz are not my first choice for the 3020i I do use one currently to drive the 3020i. I use a HD-Amp1 which I picked up years ago.
Thanks for the advice..!
I think I've found a good amp.. right in my price range.. The Marantz PM6007. It has excellent reviews, and a dedicated subwoofer output.
I appreciate your comments!

I'm running the bigger brothers (3050) in my living room on a Devon x3700. Video games are my main draw so stereos amps don't work for me :D . Sounds fine though.

Last edited:
I'm running the bigger brothers (3050) in my living room on a Devon x3700. Video games are my main draw so stereos amps don't work for me :D . Sounds fine though.

You can add a stereo integrated amplifier to your Denon to improve stereo performance, and that'll help as now the Denon won't be powering your speakers.

AVR's are generally sucky for hifi, and Denons are quite weak in the hifi area.

Back
Top Bottom