Need Some Quick Advice From Experienced Builder Please

Associate
Can someone who's experienced and knows about PSU and their ports and cables/connectors help me with this ORANGE COMPATABILITY ISSUE its showing me.
I am new to building and just learning the ropes. I have compiled my setup using this link below and its giving me a compatibility warning which i am unsure about and dont know what i am supposed to do or fix it?
The link shows all the parts i intend to buy for my build. I don't want your opinion on the parts, price etc or hate or whatever, just want some advice from a sensible mature experienced pc builder to help me rectify the issue?

Much appreciated

COMPATIBILITY ISSUE LINK > https://uk. pc part picker .com/list/GCHdxs

I think what they're saying is that the graphics card is designed for a 16 pin power connector from the power supply and since your chosen power supply does not have one, it will use 3 separate 8 pin connectors. They say you must ensure that these connectors are on distinct cables from the power supply, since you don't want 300 or 450 watts being drawn down a connector / cable which is designed for 150 watts.

it means your psu needs to have 3x pcie connectors, individual and separate ones all plugged into a different port on the back of the PSU

the PSU specs says 4 pcie connectors on the tech specs so I'm guessing it's fine, just dont have the same lead from the PSU leading to all the power connectors on the card.

your PSU has a single 12v rail anyway according to google so it probably doesn't even matter, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Yeah, some GPUs have three connectors to prevent overload on the one rail that can trip the OCP.

I wouldn't stress unless you're running an undersized PSU or one with poor 12v rails.

PSU in Question

GPU in question.

The psu is just about powerful enough to power the components in your list but you are cutting it close, it will have enough cables for you to be able to power it correctl. You can cut over 1k you are spending on your build and not notice the difference.

I would suggest this instead.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,590.04 (includes delivery: £13.20)​

You are free to spend as much as you like and buy the more expensive components if you prefer but there are some situations you should be aware of.

The Lian Li O11 XL is a very large case, it is primarily designed for water cooling with multiple radiators. Without that type of build it will look a little empty so you may want to consider the standard O11 Dynamic or Evo. It also does not come with any fans so you should be thinking about purchasing some extra 120mm fans , if you were to go for the NZXT Kraken then look to get the fans to match imho.

Power supply. The asus psu will also come with white cables and is equally as good as the Corsair unit. If you were to go for the 3090ti then I would say go for a 1000w psu and if you cannot get a white version then buy aftermarket white cables that are compatable with the psu you go for.

Thank you for the advice and things guys, i have now rectified the issue with updated parts so thank you
I think what they're saying is that the graphics card is designed for a 16 pin power connector from the power supply and since your chosen power supply does not have one, it will use 3 separate 8 pin connectors. They say you must ensure that these connectors are on distinct cables from the power supply, since you don't want 300 or 450 watts being drawn down a connector / cable which is designed for 150 watts.

it means your psu needs to have 3x pcie connectors, individual and separate ones all plugged into a different port on the back of the PSU

the PSU specs says 4 pcie connectors on the tech specs so I'm guessing it's fine, just dont have the same lead from the PSU leading to all the power connectors on the card.

your PSU has a single 12v rail anyway according to google so it probably doesn't even matter, but don't quote me on that.

Yeah, some GPUs have three connectors to prevent overload on the one rail that can trip the OCP.

I wouldn't stress unless you're running an undersized PSU or one with poor 12v rails.

PSU in Question

GPU in question.

The psu is just about powerful enough to power the components in your list but you are cutting it close, it will have enough cables for you to be able to power it correctl. You can cut over 1k you are spending on your build and not notice the difference.

I would suggest this instead.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,590.04 (includes delivery: £13.20)​

You are free to spend as much as you like and buy the more expensive components if you prefer but there are some situations you should be aware of.

The Lian Li O11 XL is a very large case, it is primarily designed for water cooling with multiple radiators. Without that type of build it will look a little empty so you may want to consider the standard O11 Dynamic or Evo. It also does not come with any fans so you should be thinking about purchasing some extra 120mm fans , if you were to go for the NZXT Kraken then look to get the fans to match imho.

Power supply. The asus psu will also come with white cables and is equally as good as the Corsair unit. If you were to go for the 3090ti then I would say go for a 1000w psu and if you cannot get a white version then buy aftermarket white cables that are compatable with the psu you go for.

Back
Top Bottom