Need Super Ultrawide Help

Soldato
Right.

Covid happened. I now do a lot of work from home. I need something great for office use - but also for gaming one or two nights a week.

Initially I bought a pair of Hannspree hg324qjb monitors. They are actually surprisingly good, but I saw a good offer on the Dell S2721DGF monitors, and swapped them for a trio of those.

The dell monitors were great, but two arrived damaged. Dell ended up giving me a full refund as they couldn't source replacements for over a month.

So I now need a new plan, and I think I'd prefer to get a single Super ultrawide monitor, sort of 40"+

All of these previous monitors have been 1440p. I have been seriously considering the Asus ROG Strix XG43VQ, but I'm a bit sad it isn't 1440p, and thats going to lose me a decent amount of vertical real estate. Sadly I do quite a bit of spreadsheet work.

I had considered the Samsung G9 49", but I'm not convinced I can justify spending a grand again. I think ideally I want to be Sub £800 all in, but if it is really worth it, I will spend more.

I would prefer IPS, HDR, curved screen, high refresh rate, and 1440p.

I'll be connecting:

M1 MBA, the Desktop PC with an 5700XT, and a MBP 2020 i5 ... all of these should be able to drive big displays... The 5700XT will get swapped out with a 6800XT as soon as this stock madness calms down.

Thoughts? Ideally personal recommendations opposed to 'I've read a review' ....

Associate
I work from home with a 35" ultrawide 1440p and while its great, UW doesn't even come close to replacing multi monitor for easy window mangement.
I still use a second 27" monitor and would be lost without it, I don't think the extra width on even bigger monitors would make any difference here either.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I work from home with a 35" ultrawide 1440p and while its great, UW doesn't even come close to replacing multi monitor for easy window mangement.
I still use a second 27" monitor and would be lost without it, I don't think the extra width on even bigger monitors would make any difference here either.

Thats where a 49" ultrawide comes in, as it essentially breaks down into 2 27" monitors

Soldato

I'm with you on this tbh. I've had the Acer XR34 for .... 5?... maybe even 6 years now... and I've always needed a second monitor. Just ordered the AW3821DW to finally replace the XR34 - but there's still no way I could get rid of the second monitor. The physical separation is very useful tbh.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I'm with you on this tbh. I've had the Acer XR34 for .... 5?... maybe even 6 years now... and I've always needed a second monitor. Just ordered the AW3821DW to finally replace the XR34 - but there's still no way I could get rid of the second monitor. The physical separation is very useful tbh.

Really? For example, would you not use a 49" ultrawide like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8q815JZoWg

Its the exact same as using 2 27" monitors except there is no bezel in the middle

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Not saying it's not possible to use it like that, just doesn't work as well for me as having a second monitor as well ;)

Thats what I dont get, surely its the exact same thing as having 2 monitors?

Soldato
OP
Glad you like it Con, enjoy!! :cool:

3080/6800XT would pair well with it...

Thats my plan, swap my 3900X for a 5900X and then get a 6800XT to take over from my 5700XT. Just need to wait for this stupidity on prices to calm down !

Is there any software to manage the windows? I've seen people managing to snap them to "27 inch 1440p Equivalent" with some software, but I can't work out what it is.

Associate
Thats my plan, swap my 3900X for a 5900X and then get a 6800XT to take over from my 5700XT. Just need to wait for this stupidity on prices to calm down !

Is there any software to manage the windows? I've seen people managing to snap them to "27 inch 1440p Equivalent" with some software, but I can't work out what it is.

If you are on Windows look for Windows Powertoys, there is a toy called FancyZones that can enable you setup snapping zones on the screens...

Associate
If you are on Windows look for Windows Powertoys, there is a toy called FancyZones that can enable you setup snapping zones on the screens...

Awesome, thank you. I recently purchased the same monitor as Conanius and love it. Powertoys makes managing zones so much better as Windows is still rubbish! FancyZones is a doddle!

DHR

DHR

Soldato
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, although I'm using a single 32" at the moment, I'm worried about losing that height so interested to see how you get on.

I use a surface for conferencing to one side so I'm not overly concerned about that.

Have you found any drawbacks from the office productivity side of things?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I've found this one for £850 all in - LC49RG90SSUXEN - I can't see past it now ... Not convinced the G9 is worth ~£300 more

If this had 240hz I would jump on it in a heartbeat... Im really hoping that the successor to this has the 240hz instead of 120hz, and also better HDR performance... If it does, thats my dream one

Back
Top Bottom