Need to downsize my Amp - Spec me please.

Associate
Hi all,

I currently have a pair of Wharfedale diamonds 9's, powered by an old Cambridge Audio A1 amp. Been putting off replacing the amp for a while, but now realise it is just too big. My question is, is there another, smaller amp that I can get for about £100 that will offer similar sound quality to what I have already? I keep hearing T-Amp getting mentioned but have no idea with these.

I have also been thinking I might just replace the lot with some powered Edifier's or similar? Once again any idea what would be best with a budget of £120 ish? Could squeeze to £150 - Would like similar or maybe better performance/sound than what I have already.

Only used in a very small room as desk speakers for pc. TIA Terry

Associate
OP
Edifier make some good powered speakers, but I'd keep the speakers you have and get a T amp.

I have some Wharfedale 9.1's, but I have them on stands either side of TV cabinet connected to a Cambridge Audio Azur 350A. Tried them on my desk; too big. :p

On my desk I have Roth Oli 1's (same size as 9.0's) connected to a Topping T amp. For the size and cost it does a great job.

You can get a SMSL SA36 or SA50 for around £50.

How will either of these Amps compare to what I have already, from a sound perspective, if you know?

Associate
OP
Great stuff! Think I will go for one of the SMSL's. Seems to tick the boxes for my needs. I think my A1 amp is rated at 25w rms per channel at 8 ohms, so shouldn't be much difference. My room is tiny like 2m by 1.5, so sound is prob overkill in there anyway. Thanks for your very useful help :)

Associate
OP
Thanks Marsman! The SA50 is already in my basket. Just off topic slightly, been looking at external DAC's, mainly the SMSL sanskrit 6 - will this give me much of an improvement over the onboard DAC on my motherboard?

Associate
OP
Tbh, I don't suffer from any noise interference, so will prob sack the idea of getting a DAC. I do use headphones just for gaming, but the sound is plenty good enough for my needs from them.
Thanks for all your help. I will go ahead and get the SA50.

Back
Top Bottom