Need to get away for a night. Suggestions please.

Commissario
So much going on, I need to get away for a day/night. Just jump in the car on Saturday morning, drive to a hotel somewhere, stay overnight, have a steak and a couple of shandies in the evening, fill up with pancakes on Sunday morning (this is important, I have a real urge for breakfast pancakes) and drive home. Wife is working Saturday and Sunday so I can do this.

Anywhere within 300 miles of north east Essex. I want to be on the road by lunchtime.

Suggestions?

/edit - I’m not going to Rhyl.

Commissario
OP
It's not a lot of money and why not do it? A bit of an adventure. The point about his wife being away is that it means it's not going to be an issue for him not being home.

Who wants to be stuck at home day in day out? A change of scenery is great for sorting out your mind sometimes.

Isle of white is a good shout! Hope you're enjoying yourself @Feek
Will! Yes, I'm enjoying myself. You're absolutely bang on :)

Hope they have upgraded those ferries since the last time I used them
I think the boat I came over on is one of the older ones but to be honest, it was quick enough that I didn't really pay any attention to it. Once it started moving, it only seemed to be going for about twenty minutes before the driver told us all to go back to our cars.

I turned up at the port, drove to the check in booth and asked the nice lady how to buy a ticket, she told me to drive out, drive back in, go the other way, go into the building and use the machine. I did that, bought a ticket for the first trip that was showing and went back to the check in booth. I held my ticket out, she waved me through. It was only when the boat was moving that I looked at the ticket and noticed it was for the 15:00 sailing but I'd got on the 14:00 boat. Oops :D

Saturday morning jump in car go to the airport get Flight to guernsey then get boat trip to herm, next day boat trip back from herm to guernsey then fly back ;)
I did actually consider this.

blackpool :)
And this. I have some very fond memories of Blackpool, I've been there a few times and never failed to enjoy it. I first went there when I was in my teens as a family holiday and we did it a good few years in succession. We took our kids there as well and they loved it.

Southwold, Suffolk.
Too close, far too close. I wanted a decent drive, not just an hour up the road.

Sounds great, hope you enjoy. Ignore the hater.
I've had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Arrived on the island and told the sat nav in the car to take me to a random hotel. Grabbed a couple of bottles of beer from a supermarket I passed on the way and after checking in, wandered to the pub a few minutes walk away.

I've just got back to my room after enjoying a sirloin steak (medium rare) with peppercorn sauce, fried egg, chunky chips, mushrooms and a garlic bread ciabatta. Naturally I ate the mushrooms last. That was followed by about half an hour reading my book and then a chocolate brownie sundae, all washed down with a couple of pints of Pedigree.

Now I'm back in my room with my boots off, the heating is on, I'm in a comfy chair with some music playing. I've got my book and the couple of bottles of beer I bought on the way. I'm booked on a late afternoon ferry tomorrow so I can at least manage a short look around the island before I go home.

Commissario
OP
I went over to Alum Bay/The Needles today, very pretty but nothing really open. I’m now on the ferry back to the mainland and this one is much larger than the one I came over on.

I did have pancakes for breakfast. That was the first question I asked when I went into the hotel.

Back
Top Bottom