Negotiating an offer.

Associate
So, I have been given an offer for a new job. To keep it short - I like the job.
The issue being is that the salary offered is slightly lower than I was hoping for. I will be (at least to start with) giving up a company vehicle and mobile phone (which both include personal use). This means I will have to start paying a phone bill and buy/run a car for my transportation.

I am willing to take a cut in pay but the extra expenses that I will incur also puts me quite a bit worse off initially, however, this will change once I learn the new role and the salary increases.

I am considering negotiating for a slightly higher salary, not much - +£1000 - this would go a long way towards the extra expenses.

I'm not really too sure how best to go about this with an email. Do I be direct and just tell them I am hoping for an additional £1k? Do I give them my reasoning?

They do seem pretty keen to employ me and are also keen to get things moving...

Any advise?

Permabanned
Changing jobs should result in more pay, not less. So your old salary is your starting figure.

If you're giving up benefits that's going to add cost for you. So add the cost of that stuff to your figure.

Round it up, add a couple of grand. Ask for that.

Caporegime
I’m confused. Are we talking an extra £1k a month or a year? Either way it doesn't really add up.

If it’s the latter then I’m not sure how that would make a dent in the purchase, running and maintenance costs of a vehicle, heck for some people that would just about make a sizable dent in the mobile contract.

If its the former then how far off the mark was the offer versus your expectations? I can’t see a £12k discrepancy just appearing out of the blue!

Associate
OP
I’m confused. Are we talking an extra £1k a month or a year? Either way it doesn't really add up.

If it’s the latter then I’m not sure how that would make a dent in the purchase, running and maintenance costs of a vehicle, heck for some people that would just about make a sizable dent in the mobile contract.

If its the former then how far off the mark was the offer versus your expectations? I can’t see a £12k discrepancy just appearing out of the blue!

Unfortunately I'm not talking a massive salary here. It's 1K a year and whilst that may not seem much to yourself for others it's still a chunk of money. 1K will actually cover the fuel cost entirely of travelling to the new site - a cost of which I've not needed to pay before. Asking for an extra 5K in this respect is a large percentage and I'd imagine it will be laughed at.

My question wasn't about proportions an extra 1K on a 50K salary is nothing compared to an extra 1K on a 15K salary. My question was how best to direct it as I have never been in this position before.

Caporegime
I am in no way calling £1000 as a sum of money insignificant by the way, and I didn’t mean to cause offence, I was just struggling to work out the situation.

In that case, and if they are as keen on hiring you as you seem to think they are, I’d be explaining that taking a drop in salary would mean a drop in quality of life, and it’s not something you want to entertain. At the end of they day the business shouldn’t struggle to find the £1k you are asking for, and if they would struggle to find it, does the business actually have a future either for yourself or them!

Soldato
The new company should know what your salary expectations are from the outset from the agency. Its not unusual for applicants to return with a counter offer.

Caporegime
Just to clarify - as you implied it but it might not have been completely clear for everyone reading - this is a career change of some sort? So that would explain why it isn't necessarily a pay rise relative to what you're already getting.

I'm guessing that they therefore have a standard-ish pay level for new hires who will need to train in the particular role?

I'd just ask them for more - you don't need to complicate it, they think you're a good candidate and want to hire you, they pay around X for a certain role and they either have flexibility around that figure or not... if they do have flexibility there then generally just asking should get you a small bump as most people don't ask.

Also, I get that it is a low paid role, but you might as well ask for say a couple of grand more or maybe three grand more even if you don't *need* that much... as long as you're not completely off the scale with your request then there generally no harm in asking and you might get them to the top of the range for that role. It is no sweat for them to come back and say no or to meet you half way etc..... and for the sake of a quick phone call or e-mail that is an extra grand or two a year going forwards...

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
Unless your QOL is going to be significantly higher from the move, then it should also be an increase in salary.

Mobile phone, something relatively new with a decent package - £50 a month = £600 a year.
You mentioned £1k a year in the fuel costs.
Do you currently have a car of your own? If the policy S+C or S,D+C? Is there any premium change?
Wear and tear on your own vehicle.

But lets say you would be happy to accept the £1k, then go in and ask for £2k and if they accept, happy days, but if they meet you "half way" then you get what youre happy with.

Thats what I'd do anyway.

Soldato
Agreed with above - if they want you, then they won't be put off by you asking for a small increase.

Simple explanation about the additional costs of travel (leave the phone out of it) and ask for £2k - but be prepared to settle for £1k if thats your figure (don't tell them this mind you). They won't go to all the hassle of another candidate/interviews cause you ask them for another £1k.

Soldato
As it's a career change I guess you're starting at the bottom and should increase as you progress, I wouldn't mention the phone unless you need one for work, if you do then they should provide it, same goes with the car.

I don't know what the starting salary is but I guess if they want you then £1k shouldn't make much difference (I would as mentioned above ask for £2k and meet in the middle) but if they don't increase the offer are you able to take the financial hit or are you prepared to turn the job down?

Associate
Its also worth asking them what benefits they offer. Medical cover, is the pension the bare minimum etc and how that compares to the current role.

I'm guessing you'll get a tax code change as well as you wont be taxed for a company car.

If they're not willing to budge now, check to see if anything is in the contract about yearly reviews. Last thing you want is to start on x thinking y will come along later when really x is the max unless you leave.

Soldato
I have just made a similar move. Went from an "all encompassed" job with all the vehicles and fuel and tech you can get to me on my own.
In short my phone costs £8 pcm (plusnet sim only) and I am currently car sharing with my wife so haven't had to swallow that pill yet.

Remember though that you will get more tax free allowance as you are no longer getting company benefits.

Associate
Send an email asking for more money and highlighting the reasons why. They will have deliberately offered low to see if you accept it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having been a hiring manager at the high teens to low £20k+ level, which is where I suspect you might be for £1k to be significant, I'd say the following.

Explain you really like the job, give solid reasons why you want to join them for the long term, but that you accept a short term loss.

However that loss is too much with the current offer, say firmly but politely that if they offered £X you'd sign up.

Every manager will low ball, they've got budgets, but at the same time recruiting is a ball ache, if they think you're the right person, they should be a little bit flexible purely to fill the position asap.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I guess you can try asking for more with tactics mentioned above, but try to strike when the iron is hot i.e. when they say the number first time.

I just had a job offer and was expecting a number £X less than what they actually offered, so was primed to ask for £X more. When I heard the number I was happy af, but still asked for the increase with a huge brass neck. In all honesty I was keeking my breeks for the next 2 hours while they looked into it, I was worried it was coming across as greedy. When they came back, they gave the increase and apologised saying they weren't trying to low ball.

They always go lower, and that's why a lot of technical jobs have salaries lower than the knowledge needed for them would have you think - people are generally less adept at negotiation in those industries and accept salaries lower than what they should. That in turn affects the market rate and everyone suffers.

I did the same when i got offered the job for my current role, but only got 20% of the increase I was asking for. Still a plus. Always ask for more. Easier to do if through a recruitment agent.

Man of Honour
Every manager will low ball, they've got budgets

It depends a bit on the way the organisation is structured / who owns the budgets. In the majority of cases, I don't really have any incentive to 'save money' on salaries, because it typically doesn't directly impact the budget lines I'm responsible for. Ironically I'm almost better off 'high-balling' because it would reduce the chances of someone leaving in future - it's much easier for me to pay someone £60k from day 1 than bring someone in on £50k and then in future try to persuade HR to let me increase their salary by more than inflation, so unless they get a promotion the chances are they could be stuck on a low salary forever and never catch up with the level they could have been given in the first place (hence, they may just gain some experience and leave for a higher paying job elsewhere at that £60k mark).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

£1k per annum is peanuts to any organisation bothered with recruitment.

Ask for £5k more and when they inevitably counter with “meet half way?” You’ve just blagged a £2.5k pay rise.

Don’t be shy... any excuse will work minus “I can haz more money?” Typically something along the lines of “I've seen similar roles offering £xx, so I’d be looking for parity”.

I used to worry about asking for more money but after I got shafted earlier in my career I’ve got the mentality that you only get one shot to ask for what you want... do it when you start or you’ll be forever hoping for pay increments and bonus payments which may never come.

Soldato
£1k per annum is peanuts to any organisation bothered with recruitment.

I used to worry about asking for more money but after I got shafted earlier in my career I’ve got the mentality that you only get one shot to ask for what you want... do it when you start or you’ll be forever hoping for pay increments and bonus payments which may never come.

I too have experienced this in my career, took me to tell them I was leaving before that changed

Back
Top Bottom