Neighbours - Am I being unresonable?

Soldato
This really annoys me that I've come on here to have a good moan, but its also a question too.

I've just moved into my new flat in the past 2 weeks. Its a ground floor single bedroom flat in Milton Keynes. I love it to pieces and I'm so proud of myself moving out at the age of 22/23 and being self sufficient having a Mortgage etc.

Now, in no way am I trying to say that I'm a quiet little mouse and that I don't make any noise at all.

Over the course of the past 2 weeks with me being the last person to take occupancy in the block of flats (its 3 floors, Ground, 1st and 2nd and two accross, make sence?) in the ground floor right appartment. It was about 10pm one night and i was watching spooks on my tv through my computer with the sub and 2 satellite speakers. Now, I wasn't being OTT at all, the volume was on about 30% and i understood that it was 10Pm and people have work the next morning, but after about 10 minutes I had 3 deep "boom boom boom" on the joining wall in the living room. (Both flats are symetrical, the living rooms face eachother.)

To start with this actually scared the crap out of me, because i was laying on the sofa, really getting into it and it just make me jump. I thought nothing of it, turned it down a little and carried on.

This same "boom boom boom" happened one evening in the week when i'd got in from work and was listening to my music whilst doing some cooking, once again, I ignored it.

A few days later, on a Saturday evening at half 7, i was getting ready to go a pick up the parents from Gatwick, I had my music on, once again, as before, it wasn't excessivly loud, but not quiet. Yes, you guessed it, they banged on the wall. I thought thats it, I'm not standing for this so I went straight round there and asked what the problem was.

To cut a long story short he basically said that he could hear my music through the wall and was getting annoyed by it. I said to him somthing along the lines of, no offence buddy but its saturday night and its half 7, its not late and its a block of flats, your going to get noise, what do you expect?

This fella is about late 20's, probably early 30's and lives with his Girlfriend. He had the cheek to say that it was quiet till I came, of course, the flat was vacent?!

I said to him that I found it rude and inpolite to bang on the wall and asked that next time he feel the need to bang, that he come round and ask me face to face. As yet I've not heard anything from him, and its been a week since I've confronted him.

its not only me that he complains, or, rather rudely bangs on the wall against. The guy above him plays the guitar and apparently he bangs on his floor in a way of complaing that his guitar is too loud!!! I've never heard it once!

As another side issue, my dad had to come and let Currys deliver some electrical items to my flat when i was overseas. It was 8AM on a saturday morning and peeing it down with rain. My dad quickly pulled up on the side of the road (outside their flat) and opened up to let the delivery guys in. He was there no more than 7 or 8 minutes, by which time when he returned to his car (it was my car he was using whilst i was away) there was a snotty note on it saying 'This is NOT the visitors carpark. if you wish to park your car, please use the bays provided!!!!'

He knew it was them because as soon as he'd finished reading it, he looked up and saw their curtains twitch.

Now, is it me? am I being unreasonable? or are my neighbours just a bunch of intollerant you know whats?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, my apologies for such a long thread but this is really the last thing i need after a stressful move! :(

ta

Greg

Soldato
OP
Personally, I think you can across too agressive and that didn't help your situation.

Flats can often have very thin walls. Maybe it would have been a better idea to put your music on at what you consider a decent level and ask to listen and see how loud it was for him to hear. It could be very surprising.

Why don't you apologise and ask to see his point of view. If it is acceptable then at least you've got a more informed opinion.

My best advice is be diplomatic, you life could be turned into a living hell for months otherwise.

Burnsy

I totally understand his PoV. I know how annoying music can be, but to be honest, it really isn't loud at all. I know that the walls aren't very thick at all, but the problem is, I can hear him, I can hear his TV but it doesn't bother me at all.

I think part of the problem is that he's so used to having no one live next to him for the past 8 months or so, now that I've moved in its something that he's not used to. Maybe it it was the otherway round and he'd just moved in then maybe it might be different?!

I perhaps didn't explain myself very well, I wasn't aggressive at all with him, I wasn't confrontational, my thought was if i don't nip it in the bud now, then it might get out of hand, which is the last thing i want!

Soldato
OP
This is the problem, I know that its the base that travels which is why its on minimum!!!!!!

I'm not getting too fust about it tbh, i just wanted to see what the general concensus is.

I come from a very quiet household, living with lotst of elderly people around us, so I'm used to being quiet and considerate. I've not changed the way I am so I don't know what to do.

Oh well, we'll see! :)

Soldato
OP
To all those people that have said that Im being inconsiderate. Firstly, i come from a very quiet house hold, i've not changed one bit, I am still quiet! My music is NOT loud at all, I used to have the Bass on normal at home, as soon as i moved out, it was put to minimum. I don't play anything loud after 10PM even on a weekend and to be honest i like to keep myself to myself.

Suprise suprise, i've not had any knocks or bangs for the past week since i went round to speak to him! I think he's jsut being a numpty!

Would it help if I put a piece of Old Carpet under my sub. To the poster who asked (sorry, can't remember your name) yes, it is on wooden flooring. Would the carpet help?!

Greg

Soldato
OP
well, its on 4 largeish rubber pads at the moment

all *** speakers are facing AWAY from the wall. I don't think these are the problem. its *** sub.

I can't re locate it anywhere else because the cables i have aren't long enough, and i'm nt going to buy any more

the music was just some light house music, nothing too bassy like DnB or Hiphop or whatever!

Soldato
OP
it does have to be said... the type of music you play should also be taken into consideration.

If your into your classical or maybe some types of rock for example, they dont have a monotonous dull thudding beat all the way through, while House etc. will do (listen to that kind of music away from the source, when only the subs thud can be heard.. its suprisingly annoying, kind of like you have insects rythmically tapping in your walls...)

Either consider a change of musical taste ;) or perhaps some decent headphones. (I'd go for the former)

Why should I change the type of music I listen to because it happens to agrivate the neighbours who are intollerant to a tiny amount of noise becuase they've got used to no one living next door for the past 8 months!? Surely thats totally unfair?!

Back
Top Bottom