Neighbours Sky Dish

Tea Drinker
Don
Not sure it is that simple? there is a covenant about the type of work that can be done on the land that our neighbour and our house is on that originates back to the 1930s and all the original parties are long gone but it is still causing our neighbour a lot of issues with work they want to do.

EDIT: Seems that because it is still on the title deeds to our property it is still valid apparently.

Doesn't matter if it's still on the deeds if the other party doesn't exist it's a waste of ink. Our neighbour paid quite a bit to have his removed from the deeds, it's cleaner and easier when you sell but really it doesn't mean anything. All it means is solicitors earn more fees when it comes up when you sell your house, again and again. Why would a solicitor advise you to have it removed?

Man of Honour
Doesn't matter if it's still on the deeds if the other party doesn't exist it's a waste of ink. Our neighbour paid quite a bit to have his removed from the deeds, it's cleaner and easier when you sell but really it doesn't mean anything. All it means is solicitors earn more fees when it comes up when you sell your house, again and again. Why would a solicitor advise you to have it removed?

Somewhat related but not the case I'm talking about:

The age of a covenant doesn’t necessarily affect its validity. Very old ones can still be enforceable, though often this isn’t straightforward. In 2012 a company called Birdlip Limited was given planning permission to build two detached homes on land it owns in Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire. But last year a high court judge ruled that a restrictive covenant set out in the deeds in 1909-10 was still enforceable, which meant no further building was allowed on the land. That represented a victory for the owners of the neighbouring property, Andrew and Michelle Hunter, who had argued they were entitled to enforce the covenants. But on 28 June this year the court of appeal overturned that decision, saying that the judge was wrong and that there was insufficient evidence to back up the couple’s case. This means that in principle the development can now go ahead.

It certainly isn't as simple as the other party/parties not existing making it immediately null and void.

EDIT: I don't know quite what is going on (someone else is handling it) with regard to our neighbour the latest legal line is:

"Proposal may violate deed of covenant restricting the development of the land to two dwellings" though the actual covenant (unless there is another one I'm unaware of) is more about the addition of expansions above a certain height - our neighbour has been pursuing it at a cost of around 4 grand a year (includes 1-2 other planning things) since 2008 :s (even though neither of us have that much interest in maintaining it and any other parties mentioned haven't existed in over 50 years).

Last edited:
Associate
You could always be nice, if they are downhill from you, and you are planning on having a dish, does 2 make it any worse? Sometimes it's nice to put yourself in their shoes.. if you get a crap reception, even from satellite, got to be the worst.. they get no decent reception from their own home? Not even on the roof/chimney? If the roof/chimney is much lower than their random back-garden attempt, maybe offer a lifeline.. Some folk are so intent on world war 3, still they aren't living next to them!

Soldato
You don't just get covenants "removed from the deeds" by choice as and when.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies, I do not want to cause problems with neighbours especially as we have not even moved in yet... however I would not dream of placing a dish right outside someones window, so would not expect someone to do it to me, As people have mentioned we don't stand there looking out of the window however it is still an eyesore especially being so close. What really annoys me is that the have placed the dish behind there garage which means the dish is hidden from the neighbours view, but they don't seem to care about it being in our view. As people have said Ive contacted the site office and left it with them so will see if anything happens.

Associate
are you planning on having a dish? Would it make a difference having 2? Solidarity goes a long way, my mate moved into a house and had loads of problems, when he actually chatted with them, he got on really well, he's now on 45k and a car lol..

Back
Top Bottom