Nerds assemble! Raspberry pi close to launch date.

This thread has made me realise that I'm not really a geek at all as I have no interest in it! :p It's cool, and i "get it" - I'm just thoroughly unintersted! :p

I'm only interested in seeing how it would perform streaming to a TV - which I think many people would find useful, aside from that it seems rather boring. :p

I'm only interested in seeing how it would perform streaming to a TV - which I think many people would find useful, aside from that it seems rather boring. :p

I guess you could hook 'em up to a NAS, and as long as it's got video playback software it would be pretty good for that considering it's got HDMI. Easier and cheaper than using a streaming PC I guess.

What the Farnell page looks like now... I presume it means they've sold out.

25016605.png

What the Farnell page looks like now... I presume it means they've sold out.

The main Raspberry Pi web site states that they have not yet received the units from China, so both RS and Farnell might just be taking pre-orders and then selling/distributing them when stock arrives. I think everyone is just marking their spot in the queue at the moment.

For those of us not clued up, i realise it runs Linux but is it tweaked at all? whats the UI like? would you be able to install some open source office software onto an SD Card?
etc

Basically - if one was considering buying it as a really cheap machine for a 8-10 year old for word processing, browsing the internet (parental control options?) and possibly some really basic gaming like Bejewled (.. heh).
Would it do the job?

Back
Top Bottom