Nest Learning thermostat with smart TRVs e.g. Tado

Associate
Has anyone have tried this? It's super annoying that Nest has never released in room functionality other than the temp sensor for the US market only.

I know Nest recommend full-on TRV's in all rooms. However in order to save money and time, I'm happy with a smart TRV just to have rooms on or off pending on our home working schedule.

At the moment I switch all radiators off and only turn on the ones for the office and then off when I finish work and turn others on such as the living room.

I think I'll probably change to a full Tado system but need to readup how easy it is to convert. The Bosch smart TRV's look super cool as well. Shame ecobee also doesn't have in-room smart TRV functionality.

On top of this, is making sure it works across the board such as using Matter as I have a mixed predominantly Google home, but all devices are on Apple but I barely use homekit until now. I have 2 Alexa speakers just in case...

Home assistant, I have 10 zigbee trv’s with 2 nests in out house and use home assistant for overall control
Which TRV's are you using to go alongside Nest?

I've not opted for the Starling hub just for the thermostat so will look to change from Nest in the future but not right now. Happy for some smart TRV's to control 3 radiators based on the schedule throughout the day.

So an update... and to best give context I live in a large old Victorian house which has barely any insulation so heat just leaks. Already at a losing cause...

I ended up getting 14 Tado TRV and for the moment it does what I need as a gloried on/off valve set in the key rooms that we're using throughout the day. Though as I've been using this, I really can see the benefit of having the full Tado thermostat/control installed as well.

My Nest is set, at the moment even in this brutal cold UK weather, to 16.5... yes I know it's ridiculous by the best of standards. Given that last year our energy bill was £650+/month for two people. Our budget was £300/month given that the previous owner had a family of 4.

The Nest is in the ground-floor hallway which already has two hard-set flowthrough radiators. If it drops a degree in temp, especially the lower end, it will take over 2 hours to heat up. I don't need this heating up so the full Tado, I believe, will be the best course of action given that the rooms we will be in will only be needed to be heated up.

Back
Top Bottom