.net MVC 3

Soldato
So I have been looking at this recently and it seems really interesting.

I have been using .net web forms for a few years and stumbled across this on the asp.net site when looking through the forums.

So just wondering if anyone can recommend any books or decent online material that gets a little more indepth into this technology i have a couple of project ideas that I want to try out rather than use web forms.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that. I'm trying to convince work to send me on an mvc course at the moment as one of my training needs as I think the power that I have seen in the few samples on the asp.net site seem to be a lot more logical and code benefit our business hugely.

Plus correct me if I am wrong here but it looks like MVC also makes you think a little bit more about your initial design and implementation which I think will be a big benefit to me.

I don't know if anyone else is like me but I have too many ideas while trying to implement solutions so get sidetracked into delivering things which I think may be cool but not always required.

I see this more as part of my development and furthering my love for programming.

If it also means I can give up web forms and move 100% away to this new tech it will be a happy day for me.

Soldato
OP
Yes, MVC is 'convention' based so it means it has a way of doing stuff that you need to embrace. This is good and sounds like it will be a big benefit to you. The very fact of it being Model View Controller means you will put stuff in the right place and your app will better written as a result.

I have got a colleague at work to start using it and once the penny started to drop he really liked it.

Will you be using a database because using Entity Frameworks is also a good thing too.

This is my website where i do all my learning, this used to be web forms but now is MVC3 http://www.quotationmark.co.uk/PremierLeague

Yeah I will be using SQL 2005 as the database and Entity Framework has been mentioned to me so I will probably check that out while am looking at MVC

Soldato
OP
So a quick update from me on this.

I am slowly working through the nerdDinner example at the moment but in the mean time I have started the database work for the project I think which will suit this.

I am assuming that if I just use the ado.net entity data model and place it in the models folder this does all the magic for me in talking back to the database and I don't have to write my own data access classes with service contracts to ensure the data is being presented in the correct way?

At least one good thing so far about this approach to web development for me is it is really making me think a lot harder about how data is related before actually coding anything on the screen.

Soldato
OP
right cracking along on the nerdDinner demo now and as I said before this seems to much easier than web forms.

I know this is really simple compared to the stuff that I usually do at work but still it is amazing how easy it is and logical as well. I am certainly understanding concepts that I have struggled with in the past and seeing a big improvement in the way I am thinking about problems.

Seems that this is the month that a couple of mvc 3 books come out so I think I will get this one:

Pro ASP.NET MVC 3 Framework 3rd Edition as the previous versions seem to have been rated very highly.

Back
Top Bottom