Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Soldato
OP
Well, I reset the router at around 16:00 - during the day when I wouldn't normally expect a regular drop in SNR. Upon re-start, it was back to 5.9 db and with 0.5mb increase in speed. I had high hopes for stability with this router. Maybe Netgear will come up with something.

Hi mate,

Can you check your PM's on Kitz. I've sent you the email address of the support manager who is wanting to discuss the issue with you.

Soldato
OP
Even if netgear can't resolve it and it is down to broadcom, hopefully more of these issues allow them to see what the problem is and not fob people off with rebooting it.

Soldato
Can anyone give me a broad pros/cons of this router please? I'm on normal ADSL syncing around 3 meg but I think my DG834G is on its last legs so looking for an upgrade.

Stability and line-speed are most important to me. For £160 I'm also looking for it to last me a while in terms of tech, so fibre and new wifi protocol support.

Thanks

Associate
Best router I have owned, that includes Draytek and Asus. V.Good WiFi and VDSL connection is solid as a rock, I'm connected to a Huawei DSLAM getting 71/20. A few folks appear to have issues but the vast majority seem to be well pleased.

edit...

Only con is the lack VPN support for iOS, other than that I cannot think of anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Also very happy with the D7000 and I've tried a few different ones.
The modem is solid, Can get full stats by a quick 5 minute jiggery pokery. WiFi is probably the best I have experienced so far on any device.

Associate
I'm having a really odd problem with my D7000.

If I use the the current firmware 1.0.0.18, my device crashes every few hours. By crashing I mean no wifi, no web interface, no connecting via cable. The power light stays on, as do all LED's that were in use at the time it crashed.

The only resolution is to reboot the thing.

However, if I downgrade to the older firmware 1.0.0.16 the thing remains rock solid.

Spoken to nether support who just ask me to factory reset, and reinstall the firmware again.

But the same happens.

Has anyone got any ideas or encountered the same?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Not meaning to sound daft but are you using the same file to update it to 1.0.0.18 i.e. have you re-downloaded the firmware from the website and tried again just to make sure the files isn't corrupt.

Associate
No, defiantly the correct file, the web gui shows the correct firmware number after its updated, but sure enough after a few hours of use it locks up completely.

Also tried it at least 5 times now, and it happens each and every time.

Put the old firmware on any again and it's all fine.

Soldato
OP
No, defiantly the correct file, the web gui shows the correct firmware number after its updated, but sure enough after a few hours of use it locks up completely.

Also tried it at least 5 times now, and it happens each and every time.

Put the old firmware on any again and it's all fine.

What I meant was, Have you deleted that firmware off the computer you are using to flash the firmware with and downloading a fresh file from the Netgear website.

Soldato
OP
Heard any news on new firmware?

Nope, Not really. I was sent a test one as I found a little issue with setting a static IP. It seems to have resolved it anyway.
I'm going to suggest a few other things to this other guy that contacted me. They did say iOS and Android support will be coming out soon though.

Associate
Yes, I have fully deleted the old firmware, re downloaded and tried again.

I have even tried downloading the firmware from Netgear's Australian site on the off chance that different firmwares were available from different regions. Again by removing the old one completely from my PC.

Is there any chance you still have the test firmware available so I can try that to see if it persists with that version also?

Soldato
OP
Yes, I have fully deleted the old firmware, re downloaded and tried again.

I have even tried downloading the firmware from Netgear's Australian site on the off chance that different firmwares were available from different regions. Again by removing the old one completely from my PC.

Is there any chance you still have the test firmware available so I can try that to see if it persists with that version also?

Ok, Was just checking. I'll have a look for the link. Can you not PM on Overclockers?

Edit: Found the dropbox links but all test firmwares have been removed. I may have it still on my PC at home but not due home for a further 3 weeks yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom