Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Soldato
Maybe it's telling porkies? :)

Does seem strange that everything is fine though. The real danger here though is obsession, stop looking at the stats. :)

I think i'll just leave it alone and wait till it loses sync...it's perfectly fine and does anything i throw at it! :)

EDIT - Is this WAN uptime anything to be worried about because i really don't want to think it is even though i'm leaning to yes...?

I've just been telnetting to see the SNR so though the Link uptime would change if there was drop outs. In my ignorance have I completely been ignoring it dropping out all the time with the WAN.

5JBxqOI.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

It doesn't look like that in that PDF. It is like this. Similar but a fair few external antennas.

https://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemId=620798

I think i'll just leave it alone and wait till it loses sync...it's perfectly fine and does anything i throw at it! :)

EDIT - Is this WAN uptime anything to be worried about because i really don't want to think it is even though i'm leaning to yes...?

I've just been telnetting to see the SNR so though the Link uptime would change if there was drop outs. In my ignorance have I completely been ignoring it dropping out all the time with the WAN.

5JBxqOI.png

My uptime is similar to that. Nothing to be worried about.

Associate
Wan up time is only 16 hours. Once a day won't trigger the DLM though. Do a power down and back up, then look at the SNR, if the SNR goes up I reckon you've the same problem as ardsar.

Soldato
Ordered a D7800 and returning the D7000. One question i do have though is on amazon they have two different D7800 and one being about £50 cheaper. Only difference i can see in the title is one isn't a D7800-100UK.

Does the UK extension mean a totally different device?

Associate
Ordered a D7800 and returning the D7000. One question i do have though is on amazon they have two different D7800 and one being about £50 cheaper. Only difference i can see in the title is one isn't a D7800-100UK.

Does the UK extension mean a totally different device?

Careful, the cheaper one is an import and most likely will not be compatible with UK VDSL.

Associate
It doesn't look like that in that PDF. It is like this. Similar but a fair few external antennas.

Interesting... I like Billion routers, the 7800 I had was excellent, however I'm going a different path... for now.

With the pFsense it will be three routers in twelve months, I think that's enough for a while and I've got quite a nice collection of devices building up!

I wonder if the delay is due to issues with the Broadcom drivers, similar to the problems Netgear appear to be having. May also be the reason we have seen no firmware updates for a while.

Last edited:
Associate
17a and 30a profile.

I've seen reports of people buying the Fritz modem from Amazon and getting the German version, only to find it doesn't work in the UK.

Might be worth emailing the supplier and seeing if they say it will work in the UK, of course you'll get a European power adaptor but that's not critical.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
From what I've been reading it appears to be manufacturing delays and also driver hold ups for the new broadcom wireless chip.
From my understanding, It was going to be a 1900AC device but was changed last minute to go for the new 1733M Wave 2 (MU-MIMO) which they are perfecting prior to release.

I guess we shall see what appears in the next month or so.

I've read a bit on the pfSense stuff but isn't really an option for me unfortunately.

Soldato
17a and 30a profile.

I've seen reports of people buying the Fritz modem from Amazon and getting the German version, only to find it doesn't work in the UK.

Might be worth emailing the supplier and seeing if they say it will work in the UK, of course you'll get a European power adaptor but that's not critical.

I've ordered the UK one that's more expensive but emailed the retailer. Strange that Amazon also sell that one but better be safe than sorry even though it's going to cost over a tonne more than the D7000! :(

Soldato
I think that's a very wise, if more expensive decision.

It's a shame though. I really like the speeds and feature set of the router so sort of forced my hand to go for the D7800. Intrigued by the Billion!

It it isn't up to snuff then i'll just get a router and stick with the OR ECI modem...yuk...

Associate
It's a shame though. I really like the speeds and feature set of the router so sort of forced my hand to go for the D7800. Intrigued by the Billion!

It it isn't up to snuff then i'll just get a router and stick with the OR ECI modem...yuk...

Yes, the Billion will be interersting, they were about the first to add Sky's Option 61 to thier firmware and I never had a problem with mine.

As for the OR modem, I have had mine back on now since my problem last week and it's matching or slightly better than the D7000 for sync, it's flashed with the Kitz reccommended firmware and I think it will stay the way it is now. I've got the pfsense hardware arriving tomorrow and that will give me a lot more control over VPN, firewall and everything else on the WAN/LAN.

The D7000 will sit there as a WAP, which it is very good at, and stand in reserve if the OR modem goes ****-up. I've had to move some of the hardware around due to space but that turned out to be less of a problem than I'd thought, so I have plenty of room for a little pfsense box.

Associate
Careful, the cheaper one is an import and most likely will not be compatible with UK VDSL.

With the Netgear D**** devices there is no difference other than the power adapter and both UK and non UK are exactly the same devices with same internals and same firmware, that being said, you have to pay a lot more delivery with the non-UK one and you have to wait longer and if anything goes wrong then even longer wait, better to go the UK route.

I myself have used several of the D**** devices all over the world with no issues.

Majority of routers are the same, the only exception I have found is the FritzBox example.

Personally I would still stick to the UK versions to be safer :)

Soldato
Received the D7800 yesterday.

First impressions are that this is pretty hench. Feels a lot more weighty than the D7000. Setup just as simple, it updated itself to what i thought was the latest firmware 1.0.0.40 and off we went.

This morning the wireless seemed a bit dodgy so just checked online to see if there was any other firmware available before i started really obsessing about this one. There was a 1.0.0.44 update out so now have applied this;

Enhancements
Improves UK – talktalk ISP stability and performance.
Updates latest string file.

Wireless seems instantly better since the update but could be placebo. Will check the simple statistics within the router UI now to see if the SNR drops like the D7000. One thing is for sure is that it's the same when i had the Huawei OR modem...the latency is better on broadcom.

Does the D7800 not have the same ability to see CRC as the D7000?

Think i also need to try and make the most of the extra money spent on this one and research the extra features it has...

Last edited:
Associate
Shame you cannot extract the same stats as you can with the BCM chipset, well you probably can, it's a case of knowing how to.

As for the OR modem, I've had mine back on for a week now, rock solid, so there has to be a small issue with the drivers on the D7000 even on bm based cabs.

On the other hand, now I've got the pfSense router in as well I think I'll stick with it. OpenVPN working fine with the iPads and Android devices, and I've put in a Geo block on just about everywhere, any IP from anywhere I don't want just gets blocked, really good little device.

Back
Top Bottom