Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Associate
I'm currently with Plusnet Fibre, using their newest hub.

I'm building a new PC tomorrow and thinking about also upgrading the router whilst I'm at it...

Is the D7000 a good choice or is there better out there for around the same price point or less.

I'm completely confused with no idea what to get as it seems no matter which router I look at it's 50/50 on positive/negative comments.

Soldato
Looking for a new router is hugely frustrating lol

True. Unfortunately most people don't really specify what they're after, they just want something 'better'. It makes helping difficult.

In your case you want to upgrade from the Plusnet supplied router. If you want to upgrade there's presumably something it doesn't do, or doesn't do as well as you'd like?

It usually boils down to the wireless side of things, but there's a lot more to a router than just the wireless.

Associate
Better speeds, stronger signal and less problems would be my main reasons for wanting to change.

I have 2 of these, they are amazing, only issues is that there is a DHCP bug in the latest firmware(s) if you do reservations etc. Netgear can be slow to fix some things, but they are releasing new firmware every few months.

I prefer the ASUS in terms of features and firmware except they use a really crappy chipset for their DSL side of things, but they have recently released a new model which supposedly uses the same chipset as the Netgear D7000 but it is only in Germany at the moment, hopefully they will release a UK version soon, an ASUS DSL router with a Broadcom chipset would be very cool, even better if they had UK compatible firmware ;)

Anyway, there is no perfect router, but in terms of DSL stability, the Netgear D7000 has probably the best chipset and modem firmware at the moment.

Associate
Hi folks,

Has anyone got the D7000 working with BT Youview+ Ultra HD box? I just got this installed yesterday and have been looking about online for a solution but so far I have not been able to get the IPTV channels to work. I'm on the latest 1.42_1.0.1 firmware.

I did try to go through the setup wizard again and there is an option to enable BT IPTV but it doesn't do anything. Appreciate the help. Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Hi folks,

Has anyone got the D7000 working with BT Youview+ Ultra HD box? I just got this installed yesterday and have been looking about online for a solution but so far I have not been able to get the IPTV channels to work. I'm on the latest 1.42_1.0.1 firmware.

I did try to go through the setup wizard again and there is an option to enable BT IPTV but it doesn't do anything. Appreciate the help. Thanks!

Try the latest firmware. A member on Kitz just said 1.0.1.44 has now been released.

Associate
Thanks. Yeah I noticed it was available this morning. I've installed it but no difference unfortunately. I'm going to factory reset it and see how that goes. Cheers.

Soldato
OP
That was going to be my next suggestion. Every time I finish installing the latest firmware I always reset to factory by holding the reset button on the rear for 10 seconds then setup from fresh.

Soldato
OP
I hope it sorts your issue. No, I just redo the config each time. I don't have much to do though. Only ISP details, router password and wifi passwords.

Associate
I hope it sorts your issue. No, I just redo the config each time. I don't have much to do though. Only ISP details, router password and wifi passwords.

Thanks Michty! There's a few extra bits and pieces I need to do after a factory reset but shouldn't take too long. It'll be worth it if I can get the Youview+ IPTV channels to work!

Soldato
OP
Yeah it's a nuisance but if it works it will be worth it. They always advice doing a factory reset. Keep us updated and if that doesn't work I can email the Netgear firmware guys and give them a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom