Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Associate
Just tried a factory reset and unfortunately that didn't work. The IPTV channels refuse to clear. All the VOD stuff etc all works OK. It is just the IPTV channels that won't work. I am going to have to cancel my contract. I am refusing to use the Home Hub due repeat reliability issues.

Soldato
Better speeds, stronger signal and less problems would be my main reasons for wanting to change.

Billion 8800NL are far the best in my view but the wireless are only support 2.4GHz thought but it doesn't bother me because my tablet, smartphone are hardly get over 50Meg from the wireless. My PC always connected to Billion ethernet cable as I getting 75 meg down and 19 meg up at all times with FTTC 80/20 since 2014. No problem at all. The Billion router haven't reboot or downtime for 344 days ongoing stable connected.

Associate
Still no luck getting the IPTV channels working on my D7000. I emailed those support guys @michty_me suggested but no reply. I think I will have to cancel the service which is a shame. Thanks for the help anyway ;)

Soldato
OP
That is a bit strange. They were normally quite good at getting back in touch. Saying that, It was over a year ago that I last made contact with them, They may not be at the company anymore.

Could it be a service issue BT's end? Have you tried asking on the Kitz forum thread for the D7000? There were some guys on there who had the same issue that may be able to help. Depends how much more time you want to throw into it.

Soldato
I'm having an issue with my Netgear D7000 whereby the wireless to my phone will just drop at seemingly random intervals and it takes me switching the WiFi off on my phone and turning it back on to reconnect!?!?!

In addition my PC that is connected via powerline adapters has dropped the internet connection a couple of times too so I'm not convinced that the problem is solely a WiFi one! (a PC reboot mostly fixes the issue but it also reconnects after a few minutes too!)

the weird part is that when my phone connection fails, the laptop next to me still works fine (so it's not a "disconnect from internet" issue but rather seems to be specific to one device at a time???)

I've messed around with the MTU setting but have not had much luck!

Any ideas??

Associate
I've just taken delivery of a D7000 (It was advertised as a R7000). Am I right in thinking there are no custom firmwares for the D7000? I want to setup my VPN on the router without having to install openvpn client on each device, and having researched custom firmwares it seemed possible with the R7000, but I am not so sure about the D7000.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just taken delivery of a D7000 (It was advertised as a R7000). Am I right in thinking there are no custom firmwares for the D7000? I want to setup my VPN on the router without having to install openvpn client on each device, and having researched custom firmwares it seemed possible with the R7000, but I am not so sure about the D7000.

I have the R7000 and avoided the D7000 for the reason that there isn't any custom firmwares available. Something about the modem drivers not being supported or something.

My R7000 is running a AsusWRT-Merlin firmware and overclocked to 1.3Ghz and uses the VPN client for my VPN connection. It works well for my needs, especially being overclocked.

Can't you send the D7000 back, I always found the Netgear firmware to be very lacking and it made the router really slow going through the UI.

Associate
Yes, you need your username and password from your current router. You add them to the Netgear settings. Great router, used mine with Sky and now with BT fibre.

Associate
Good to hear, been using mine for 18 months and it's been rock solid. Netgear have been releasing regular firmware updates, so bonus.

Soldato
Hi Sky now use's IPv6 as well as IPv4 the D7000 does not automatically set this up.

As its up to ISP'S if they want to run this option.

Its very easy to set up follow this guide below-

Log on to your router setup go> ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > IPv6.

Set Internet connection select- DCHP

Next go to LAN Setup> Auto config should be ticked.
The modem router automatically detects the address information

Look under Router’s IPv6 Address On LAN, you should see the IPv6 address that is acquired for the modem router’s LAN interface.

Then select> Use this interface ID> enter the first 4 blocks of the address shown.

Then hit apply job done.

To test your IPv6 connection, open a new browser tab enter> https://checkyoursix.computerlagoon.com/

It will tell you if your IPv6 is working and you'll see your current IPv4 Address and IPv6 address.

If all is well, go back to your IPv6 setup, select IP address assignment tick> Use DCHP server, hit apply done.

Associate
I'm having an issue with my Netgear D7000 whereby the wireless to my phone will just drop at seemingly random intervals and it takes me switching the WiFi off on my phone and turning it back on to reconnect!?!?!

In addition my PC that is connected via powerline adapters has dropped the internet connection a couple of times too so I'm not convinced that the problem is solely a WiFi one! (a PC reboot mostly fixes the issue but it also reconnects after a few minutes too!)

the weird part is that when my phone connection fails, the laptop next to me still works fine (so it's not a "disconnect from internet" issue but rather seems to be specific to one device at a time???)

I've messed around with the MTU setting but have not had much luck!

Any ideas??

I have exactly the same setup and exactly the same issues with drop outs. Not very frequently but they happen!

Associate
VPN via Android > SO I've set up VPN and I can connect, and I can browse the internet using a browser , but If I open up an app on the phone, it does not connect to the internet to download data, update etc. Cannot access google play either. Any ideas?

I use OpenVPN Client - Purchased on Android

Soldato
VPN via Android > SO I've set up VPN and I can connect, and I can browse the internet using a browser , but If I open up an app on the phone, it does not connect to the internet to download data, update etc. Cannot access google play either. Any ideas?

I use OpenVPN Client - Purchased on Android

I take it you have checked your firewall to see if that's the problem also check to see if you have to set up your phone to connect via VPN.

Back
Top Bottom