Netgear D7000 VDSL modem/router

Soldato
I have exactly the same setup and exactly the same issues with drop outs. Not very frequently but they happen!
I have exactly the same setup and exactly the same issues with drop outs. Not very frequently but they happen!

Coincidentally I've been trying to sort this issue out on the last few days and because Netgear "support" are about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard I've been experimenting with setting the wireless channel manually.......and amazingly it's made a difference!

It's been 2 days and I've not had any drops on my phone where it would usually happen daily at the least!

Fingers crossed!

Associate
I take it you have checked your firewall to see if that's the problem also check to see if you have to set up your phone to connect via VPN.

Phone is connecting via VPN and registers as connected. Not sure how router firewall would stop the traffic unless I have to manually open the TUN ports, but they appear to work as I am connected.

Soldato
Phone is connecting via VPN and registers as connected. Not sure how router firewall would stop the traffic unless I have to manually open the TUN ports, but they appear to work as I am connected.

Hi again, l take it you followed these D7000 instructions see link -
https://kb.netgear.com/29783/How-do-I-use-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Android-device

Do not allow OpenDNS client to register external IP when using VPN service-

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-u...o-register-external-IP-when-using-VPN-service

Last edited:
Associate
Hi again, l take it you followed these D7000 instructions see link -
https://kb.netgear.com/29783/How-do-I-use-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Android-device

Do not allow OpenDNS client to register external IP when using VPN service-

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-u...o-register-external-IP-when-using-VPN-service

Cheers for the reply but I cannot see an option to stop the external registration of IP. Others appear to have an issue with this VPN and smartphones . . .

Soldato
I'm having an issue with my Netgear D7000 whereby the wireless to my phone will just drop at seemingly random intervals and it takes me switching the WiFi off on my phone and turning it back on to reconnect!?!?!

In addition my PC that is connected via powerline adapters has dropped the internet connection a couple of times too so I'm not convinced that the problem is solely a WiFi one! (a PC reboot mostly fixes the issue but it also reconnects after a few minutes too!)

the weird part is that when my phone connection fails, the laptop next to me still works fine (so it's not a "disconnect from internet" issue but rather seems to be specific to one device at a time???)

I've messed around with the MTU setting but have not had much luck!

Any ideas??

I've got the same problem. Sometimes it will reconnect, others I have to turn the router off and on again.

Any fix for this?

Soldato
I've got the same problem. Sometimes it will reconnect, others I have to turn the router off and on again.

Any fix for this?

Hi, who is your ISP? My MTU is set at 1496 for Sky Fibre, BT fibre try 1492 just googled BT MTU Setting.

Is your D7 near some electrical equipment or soley by its self, if its near something maybe this could interrupt the WiFi signal now and again.

For me personnally l use RJ45 cables for all devices except mobil phones even though powerline adapters are a quick way of connecting a device, l use a ADSL Nation RJ11 £3 shielded twisted pair 0.5m High Performance DSL Cable to connect my D7 to the mastersocket. I was told by a friend who works in IT always have your router next to your mastersocket with a short shielded RJ11 cable and connect all devices with shielded RJ45 cables to get the best out of your connection.

A RJ11 and RJ45 cables are dirt cheap if you shop round, you just run them under the edge of your carpet or along the side of a skirting board or on the top of it plus you can get them in different colours. If there are two of yous it does not take long to run them and plan the cables route before hand as well and would work out cheaper than powerline adapters a RJ45 10mtr cable about £5.

My D7 has only disconnected when first set up and finding my optimum upload/download speeds, the D7 has new firmware out and l have just updated mine and it would have been up for 724HRs both for LAN/WiFi with no disconnects.

Soldato
Hi, who is your ISP? My MTU is set at 1496 for Sky Fibre, BT fibre try 1492 just googled BT MTU Setting.

Is your D7 near some electrical equipment or soley by its self, if its near something maybe this could interrupt the WiFi signal now and again.

For me personnally l use RJ45 cables for all devices except mobil phones even though powerline adapters are a quick way of connecting a device, l use a ADSL Nation RJ11 £3 shielded twisted pair 0.5m High Performance DSL Cable to connect my D7 to the mastersocket. I was told by a friend who works in IT always have your router next to your mastersocket with a short shielded RJ11 cable and connect all devices with shielded RJ45 cables to get the best out of your connection.

A RJ11 and RJ45 cables are dirt cheap if you shop round, you just run them under the edge of your carpet or along the side of a skirting board or on the top of it plus you can get them in different colours. If there are two of yous it does not take long to run them and plan the cables route before hand as well and would work out cheaper than powerline adapters a RJ45 10mtr cable about £5.

My D7 has only disconnected when first set up and finding my optimum upload/download speeds, the D7 has new firmware out and l have just updated mine and it would have been up for 724HRs both for LAN/WiFi with no disconnects.

It's set to 1488 which is what I've found from my research. Also it's not just the wireless, I've got powerlines and they go down as well as the wireless. It's really annoying, and I'm going to switch back to the homehub 5 in a bit.

Soldato

Any fix for this?

I thought I'd fixed the issue by simply changing the wireless channel from "Auto" to one that didn't look too congested - this worked like a charm for 3 or 4 days.....and then it disconnected again!

It's worth mentioning though that I've never had to physically reboot the router to get my internet connection back, I just turn the WiFi off and on again on my phone and it reconnects straight away! (ie. my internet connection isn't dropping but rather just the WiFi - and it has happened a couple of occasions through my homeplugs too!)

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Hi Guys.. just picked up a D7000 and having a few problems with VPN connections.

I'm using a PIA VPN from a Synology out to the internet which had been working great for 6 months. I've just upgraded to a D7000 and I want to enable inbound VPN via the Router, however when I enable this, the Synology outbound VPN drops and won't reconnect.

I was hoping the router was cleaver enough to cope with the 2 VPNs but maybe not.. anyone got any ideas?

Associate
I would steer clear of the D7000.

I had one for 6 months after which it decided to exhibit some really weird problems. Support from Netgear was terrible. I'll give you some examples:

Me : Hi, the router will randomly and indiscriminately boot every and all wireless clients off regardless of distance and band. Wired is OK. The only way to rectify this issue is to reboot the device
Netgear : So wired is OK?
Me : Yes
Netgear : Well, there's nothing wrong with the router then

*sigh*

After lots of faffing

Netgear - Before issuing an RMA I need you to go through some KB articles about improving the wireless performance by changing the bands
Me - Really?

Anyway, after some time I said it didn't help and I got put forward to another support engineer

Netgear - Ok, so you're on the latest firmware version, I'd like to force a downgrade to a previous version please
Me - So, this is a known issue with this router model?
Netgear - No, there are no issues with the current firmware version
Me - Please explain your logic

I got so miffed off I told them to cancel the RMA after Amazon agreed to issue me a full refund.

Soldato
Hi Guys.. just picked up a D7000 and having a few problems with VPN connections.

I'm using a PIA VPN from a Synology out to the internet which had been working great for 6 months. I've just upgraded to a D7000 and I want to enable inbound VPN via the Router, however when I enable this, the Synology outbound VPN drops and won't reconnect.

I was hoping the router was cleaver enough to cope with the 2 VPNs but maybe not.. anyone got any ideas?

Nothing wrong with the D7000 nearlly 9 months old, l'm about 900mtrs from the FTTCabinet its way better than the Sky Hub performance wise. Easy to set up this router has way better options than a Sky Hub, never had any problems with 4 firmware upgrades which l do manually.

Yes some times you are unlucky and get a faulty one, l read a few reviews even on forums defore l bought mine. Since the latest firmware upgrade just gone over 1000HRs with no trouble at all.

SI have a look at this link it may solve your issue.
https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do...on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-client

Have a look at see part 18 -

18:For client devices with Windows, modify the VPN interface name to NETGEAR-VPN:
On your computer, go to the Networks page.
If you are using Windows 10, select Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
In the local area connection list, find the local area connection with the device name TAP-Windows Adapter.
Select the local area connection and change its name (not its device name) to NETGEAR-VPN.
If you don't change the VPN interface name, the VPN tunnel connection fails.

Soldato
OP
I think my one could be giving up on me already.
It has started locking up around once a month now and if it happens when I'm away for a long weekend or so, My line starts dropping sync speed.

Soldato
Hi, it could be the cable that come's from the telegraph post to your master socket, does it look old?

Before l got the D7000 my connection was very bad l had a few engineers out and they all said" its fine, etc". The last engineer done all the tests again but he looked at the outside cable and because of the state of it replaced it.

He checked the cable and found one spot where the copper had been eating away and was connected by a thread.

After he went my up/download speed went up and my connection errors were gone.

Soldato
OP
Hi, it could be the cable that come's from the telegraph post to your master socket, does it look old?

Before l got the D7000 my connection was very bad l had a few engineers out and they all said" its fine, etc". The last engineer done all the tests again but he looked at the outside cable and because of the state of it replaced it.

He checked the cable and found one spot where the copper had been eating away and was connected by a thread.

After he went my up/download speed went up and my connection errors were gone.

My first experience of the issue began in January when I returned from offshore. The D7000 had locked up (not sure how long for) which then started affecting my sync rate. An engineer was called who gave it the all clear, reset the line and all has been good.
However the D7000 has been locking up around every 30 days but I've always been around when it does so give it a power cycle and it carries on as normal.
This weekend, I was away when it locked up so my sync speeds have taken a hit and SNR has doubled. I have no or very little errors registering on dslstats.

I think my options are to drop it back to a beta firmware I had from a few years back or go back to a dual box setup for a month or two for testing purposes.

Soldato
My D7000 started crashing after approx 30 days since December/January aswell, it appears after the last firmware update the traffic monitor was enabled. I had a problem initially when I got it that the router would crash with this enabled. Disabled it now so will so how it goes.

If it is left in the crashed state it does cause errors on the line which causes DLM to increase the noise margin, my last crash happened at 1am and I rebooted it at 7am the noise margin increased from 4db to 5db for me knocking the sync from a full 80 to 77.

If it goes again I will likely replace it had been up for years (on a UPS) before the last round of firmware updates.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My D7000 started crashing after approx 30 days since December/January aswell, it appears after the last firmware update the traffic monitor was enabled. I had a problem initially when I got it that the router would crash with this enabled. Disabled it now so will so how it goes.

If it is left in the crashed state it does cause errors on the line which causes DLM to increase the noise margin, my last crash happened at 1am and I rebooted it at 7am the noise margin increased from 4db to 5db for me knocking the sync from a full 80 to 77.

If it goes again I will likely replace it had been up for years (on a UPS) before the last round of firmware updates.

Dave, Thanks for your post. Doing some research into the issue we have seen, It appears there are multiple pages and threads of the exact same issue happening.
I'm unsure how long mine was off but my SNR on the downstream went from around 3.4dB to 7.6dB knocking about 10-12Mb off my downstream speed.

What would you opt for if you were to replace it? A single box setup again or go the single modem and router setup?

Please do update the thread with any further info or if your fix works.

Back
Top Bottom