Networking - HELP!!! :-)

Associate
Dear All,

I recently changed my goals totally about what I wanted to get back into, work wise. I figured Counselling wasn’t for me anymore, so seeing as I always was god with computer etc as a kid and growing up, i would go for something basic to start with, like first line IT support, and then take it from there.
The problem is I have gone through YouTube watching courses on basic networking etc, and then Active Directory (I thought learning the original basics, even though it’s gone cloud based now, would be helpful). BUT I keep over thinking the basics - if a server is something physical, what turns it into a Domain controller - it must be software - but so must windows server X or whatever, so where does the DC controller ‘sit’? Ontop of the server, so to speak? So when you put a virtual machine into action, where does that sit? It’s not physical, as there is no physical entity. I’m not explaining it fantastically - I need to be able to draw what I mean.
I am looking for very basic definitions of where things go in a basic network. Does everything go from the server upwards - so the server is the grounding? How does everything on a network look - if a diagram could be drawn?
If anyone could offer some advice, that would be fantastic.
Many thanks for reading,
Matthew

Back
Top Bottom