Never tried Gin before

Soldato
Hi all

My wife was given some Gin for her birthday and we've never drank this before, it's Whitley Neill Rhubarb and Ginger Gin... Her friend said you can drink it straight but it seems very strong, that might just be us as we're usually Cider and Wine drinkers :p

Does anyone have this and mix it with stuff or drink it straight?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
I do a tin of tonic to a double shot of gin, but those rhubarb and ginger gins can go quite well with ginger beer instead of tonic.

Is there a certain amount of gin that's best to mix or is it whatever you fancy really?

50ml Gin, 150ml mixer, lots of ice. That's the basic, 200ml mixer is also ok.

Lots of ice seems to be on everybody's list, must do the trick I'm guessing...

That sounds like a nice refreshing drink to have on its own aswell, good shout

Soldato
It's a spirit meant for mixing? Well I assume, I don't know if anyone who's drink it straight?

In which case why would you ever buy a posh bottle of it? If your going to mix just buy the cheapest one you can find.

And then I'd rather just buy a bottle of Jack Daniels or some cheap scotch and mix it with coke.

It just isn't my thing, I'll just drink beer or straight whiskey.

Soldato
That Rhubarb and Ginger gin is lovely, 3 to 1 mixer to gin seems fine. Nothing wrong with Schweppes the guys at Portobello Road told me they did a blind tasting once and it came second amongst their guys.
As a beer and cider drinker myself I prefer a long drink otherwise I drink too quickly.

Associate
It's a spirit meant for mixing? Well I assume, I don't know if anyone who's drink it straight?

In which case why would you ever buy a posh bottle of it? If your going to mix just buy the cheapest one you can find.

Different Gin tastes very different and the difference between something like a Gordons and a Tanqueray 10 (to pick 2 you can buy in a supermarket) is substantial. I quite like a London Dry Gin but my wife prefers a more citrus type gin.

Soldato
I've found apple juice plays quite well with some gins, when I worked in a pub I did have one bloke order a cider and a gin. In then proceeded to pour the gin into the cider. To be fair he had arrived at about half past 11 on a saturday and had some catching up to do.

Back
Top Bottom