New 1000 watt psu needed

Associate
Hi all. I’ve noticed when loading some games and playing games that my power supply is making a sort of ticking sound. It never used to do this on my old hardware but since adding a 3080 and 12700k it’s making noise. My current power supply is a 5 year old super flower 750 watt so I guess it’s a little Underpowered for the system and future upgrades.

I’m thinking i should upgrade to a 1000 watt power supply from Corsair or Seasonic. My budget is round £200, which ones should I be looking at. I’d want one quiet and reliable with nice looking cables if possible. Or if I did need new sleeved cables which ones should I be looking at.

Thanks in advance

I don't think there is any. There are a few reviews of the lower powered models on the web.

There's a BeQuiet 1k watter thats another fiver extra but that has only 5 years warranty. Then there's a Seasonic & Corsair for a shade under 160 notes. The rest of the 1kw are over 200 notes. You did say nice cables but, with most things they are function over form, so you may not like them & you end up buying custom cables.

I did see that one but I was wondering why it is cheaper than the other ones. What’s the catch haha

Unless the 1000 Watt model is different to the other PSUs, then the Phanteks is based on the Seasonic Focus GX. Since that's a mainstream PSU, it is a lot cheaper than the premium models you can get in this wattage. The Asus Strix is the most expensive version (I know of) on this platform, the Phanteks seems to be the cheapest, but the components used aren't inferior to the Seasonic.

I believe this is the same OEM/platform PSU:

Hi all. I’ve noticed when loading some games and playing games that my power supply is making a sort of ticking sound. It never used to do this on my old hardware but since adding a 3080 and 12700k it’s making noise. My current power supply is a 5 year old super flower 750 watt so I guess it’s a little Underpowered for the system and future upgrades.

I’m thinking i should upgrade to a 1000 watt power supply from Corsair or Seasonic. My budget is round £200, which ones should I be looking at. I’d want one quiet and reliable with nice looking cables if possible. Or if I did need new sleeved cables which ones should I be looking at.

Thanks in advance
I'd say that it's very dangerous running your nice new 12700 and 3080 with a PSU that's making a ticking sound.

I would spend all your pennies on the HX1000 watt PSU. It's more expensive than others but the HX series is very well regarded and it comes with a 10 year warranty.

I would also consider the Straight power 1000 watt or Corsair AX1000 PSUs too

I'd say that it's very dangerous running your nice new 12700 and 3080 with a PSU that's making a ticking sound.

I guess it could be something innocent, like the fan switching on, or into a higher gear, but I'd imagine the old hardware was powerful enough to make it turn on, unless the OP was using the IGP. Easy way to test that would be to flick the switch to turn the fan on permanently.

I guess it could be something innocent, like the fan switching on, or into a higher gear, but I'd imagine the old hardware was powerful enough to make it turn on, unless the OP was using the IGP. Easy way to test that would be to flick the switch to turn the fan on permanently.
Yeah, hard to say without seeing it face to face. Could be a fan since it's 5 years of age.

Back
Top Bottom