New 144hz 4k monitor spotted, INSANE PRICES!!!

Soldato
So i have been looking around i can stumbled over the new 4k 144hz from asus and acer and the prices was absolutely insane and stupid to say the least. Wonder if @Gibbo has something to add to this. Now this is not from OCUK but from danish retailers that shall remain unnamed but the prices are as follows:

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ: 18995 DKK, unconfirmed availability 7th of May 2018
37c5da00-6edc-0753-d0c1-77d259672161.jpg

Acer Predator X27: 18990 DKK, unconfirmed availability 6th of june 2018
ACPREDX27_1

So roughly 2214 pounds.. WT*?!?

Soldato
OP
£2k.. for a monitor that should last 8 years easily technologically as jumping to 8k 144hz is going to really push GPU design ...

£22pm for 8 years. personally dont think thats bad considering people spend roughly £33pm on a phone every 2 years without blinking :D

haha your a very optimistic person if you think an acer or asus monitor will actually function for that long. Good laugh thanks man

Soldato
OP
Samsung screen ... Can't say for the rest inside it though haha
Can't say i've had a good experience with samsung panels lately and i've been through a couple over the last 3 years.. Maybe i'm just unlucky. Nevertheless over 2,2k for a 144hz 4k at a size of 27 inches seems completely retarded to me. If they had made it 32 inches and dropped to price to around 1300-1400 launch i've could have accepted it as early adopters fee, but still expensive. This however is just ludicrous to me. But to each their own. I'm sure someone is about to overcharge their credit card and sign up for a kidney transfer to pay it off.

Soldato
OP
These are VA, they better be the best VA you ever saw at that price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
according to their own websites they are based on IPS.

ROG Swift PG27UQ Gaming Monitor – 27” 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), Overclockable 144Hz, G-SYNC HDR, Quantum-dot , IPS, Aura Sync
  • 27-inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) HDR gaming monitor with an overclockable 144Hz refresh rate for super-smooth gaming visuals
  • NVIDIA G-SYNC HDR delivers lifelike contrast and color, with the brightest whites and darkest blacks bringing out details like never before
  • Quantum-dot IPS display with a wide DCI-P3 color gamut provides realistic colors and smoother gradation
  • ASUS Aura Sync technology creates immersive ambient lighting and supports synchronization with Aura-enabled components and peripherals
  • New ROG Light Signal casts the ROG logo to create the perfect atmosphere for your gaming setup

Soldato
OP
I get that flexibility is good, but I would struggle to stomach the GSync tax on a monitor to then use an AMD GFX card... wait for a non-GSync model that will be £500 cheaper.

It would make you able to switch GPU brand as you saw fit. Sure the tax is there but it would be anyway if VRR is something you want and you own a GTX GPU at the time of purchase. But tbh I don't think Nvidia would ever agree to a monitor working with VRR on a competitor's products while also supporting Gsync. They would with 99% certainty block it, standard or not.

Soldato
OP
But will there be a tax on VRR? A Freesync monitor is significantly cheaper than the equivalent model with GSync... I'm not sure that Freesync or VRR will significantly increase the price, especially compared to GSync.

what I meant was that Nvidia won't give up their Gsync module in Gsync branded screens and they will ignore/block the HDMI 2.1 standard in regards to VRR(my theory). So you would have a screen with HDMI 2.1 but it's going through the Gsync module unless it is a double scaler/module implementation which won't be cheap and most likely also blocked by Nvidia. So you will always end up with the tax as someone has to pay the extra for the module. I will happily eat some salt and an old hat if Nvidia ends up supporting the VRR standard(including Freesync branded screens) as I highly doubt that is ever going to happen.

Soldato
OP
Also you can see on that video that it is still an IPS panel with 1000:1 static contrast, the 35" 200hz one looks much more interesting but also will be stupidly expensive probably.

Blurring on the latest fast refresh IPS panels is really not an issue with proper overdrive whereas every single VA panel still has issues with dark pixel transitions, some more than others of course.

Soldato
OP
Yes I was going to say that but didn't, it is likely the 35" will have some black smearing and more blur, depends how bad that is. My negative comments are mostly due to me being offended by the price of this monitor, also that I think 27" is too small when this has FALD and HDR and all of this.

Totally agree with the price being way too much. I would have expected 32-34 inches and OLED to even begin to justify the price tag. But its Acer and Asus so the tax is here to stay.

Soldato
OP
Ahhh I heard wrong then maybe? That's great news :)

Are these available to buy yet?

edit - Tweaktown state that it needs 2xDP1.4 instead!! Holy **** that's some serious bandwidth :eek: Ahhhh, HDR is in there too

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6187...3-inch-4k-120hz-monitor-costs-1399/index.html

More info, looks like one DP can be connected fine (guessing no HDR or something);

http://www.overclock.net/forum/44-m...eal4k-i20-hdr-120hz-10-bit-dp-1-4-2018-a.html

uhh looks very interesting..and a much better price too. Would love to see a proper review of the thing.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info. I really hope a non-HDR, or non crazy expensive FALD version is available. I feel like I'm not that bothered about HDR until we start seeing OLED monitors. I'd just be happy with a 144hz version of what I've already got.

Feel the same way. Not that into the whole HDR yet until support for it has matured more. I just want proper colors, 120+ refresh rate, 32+ inches and for the love of god no glow or backlight bleed issues. Ohh and btw, you can keep the Curve.

Soldato
OP
Hoping they're smart and hold off to implement a 2.1 connection, but yeah they'll probably have a fan too (or maybe 2 as panel is so big!!) :D
a solid 1440p or 1600p ultrawide would not run into the same bandwidth limitations as these 4k screens does. I would be much more interested in seeing a 1600p ultrawide with all these bells and whistles.

Soldato
OP
The biggest flaw with this discussion about 1080p vs 4k is the source. There is no point in arguing over which is fine and which isn't if you do not include the source material you are using to compare the 2 resolutions. I can perfectly understand why someone would say that a 1080p source would look just fine on a 1080p screen and why a 4k panel to view the 1080p source wont be of interest and i can understand why someone with a 4k minimal compressed source would argue that it looks absolutely best on a proper 4k panel. Problem is if you do not include what source you are using then people are bound to not fully understand your point of view.

Soldato
OP
Anyone see news sites are showing listings for the ROG Swift PG65 Nvidia BFGD monitor... I'm ******* myself laughing at the price they will want to charge for that after this pair of sub par products at £2k

What I would give for Samsung to put a G-Sync module into a 65" Q9FN TV, not a cheap TV I know but I reckon it could make a interesting PC display.

I'd rather nvidia just got onboard with adaptive sync and then all that money the stupid gsync module would have cost could be put towards a much better panel and internals.

Back
Top Bottom