New 27-inch UltraSharp U2711 WQHD announced.

Soldato
Could be just the ticket!! :)

From Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/dell-goes-pro-with-27-inch-ultrasharp-u2711-wqhd-lcd-monitor-ha/

Dell's laptop and desktop lineups may hog all of the attention, but the company's range of LCDs have proven to be contenders over the years. Not one to shy away from the professionals in attendance, the company has today released its first-ever WQHD monitor: the 27-inch UltraSharp U2711. Boasting a native 2,560 x 1,440 resolution, this beast just may pack enough pixels to sway you back into the single-monitor camp. Dell's also trumpeting the unit's "billion-color depth and IPS technology," and the 6-millisecond response time, 1,000:1 contrast ratio, 350 nits of brightness and a 12-bit internal processing help to round things out. For the pros who make ends meet by editing photos or video, you'll probably enjoy knowing that this one boasts a 110 percent color gamut, factory-tuned Adobe RGB and sRGB modes (alongside a color calibration report), custom color adjustments and a smattering of mounting options.

You'll also find just about every port known to man: HDMI 1.3, DisplayPort, DVI-D (x2), VGA, composite, component, USB (x4) and an 8-in-1 multicard reader. 'Course, the actual aesthetics are nothing to write home about, but again, this one's being targeted at end users who care less about the bezel and more about true-to-life pixel performance. We had a chance to toy around with the new beast, and frankly, we were mesmerized. Without an in-house color calibrator, we can't speak for those who need oodles of numbers and bar charts to tell if a monitor is performing correctly, but we can say that the panel was remarkably sharp, crisp and accurate -- more so than our (much adored) 24-inch 2408WFP, that's for sure. Be prepared to catch this one next month with an MSRP of $1,049.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Given the quantity of "HD" content being consumed in 1920 x 1080 it'll be interesting to see how well it scales for XBox/PS3/1080 media etc...

Soldato
OP
Can't believe I missed it at £599. There's enough people interested in this panel we should keep an eye open for special offers - first sign of this hitting £599 again and I'll take the plunge..... Who's with me?!?!?!?!? :D

Soldato
OP
If it's going for that sort of money on Ebay it has to be doable - comon OCUK, you've got a bunch of customers buying this elsewhere and a few of us lined up to buy it if you could hit £600 here. Got to be an opportunity to do a "this week only" deal!!! :D

Soldato
OP
I keep checking back - still no £600 TWO :(

Wheres' GIBBO when you need him? oh, hang on, that's a bit of luck!!! Over here please Gibbo ;)

Soldato
OP
Maybe not, but you don't get if you don't ask... If there's any way of doing it as a TWO even at £650 or £699 they're going to get sales that are otherwise going to EBay.

Still, I suspect you're right and I'm going for a triumph of optimism over realism ;)

Soldato
OP
To be fair the OCUK price is fairly average for the monitor, I just think they could pick up a bunch of orders in the space of a few days if they did TWO at a price that competes with Ebay.

They may not make much on the offer but they keep a bunch of happy customers from going elsewhere and I can't imagine they are selling many at the moment anyway so it's not going to hit potential profits.

Soldato
OP
It'll be interesting to see if the new Apple 27" cinema display makes a viable alternative to this monitor as it looks like it could be a little cheaper depending on $ to £ rate.

Back
Top Bottom