• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 3080 and suddenly problems

Soldato
OP
This is the RAM model https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M4C3200C14

Its rated for XMP 3200 CL14, but it's running stable at 3600 14-15-15-30

As mentioned it does get a little bit toasty while gaming (50c), it's due to the GPU dumping 410w of hot air into the chassis, on my previous GPU it would sit at 40c. But the extra 10c hasn't caused any instability for me.

never the less I am moving the GPU to water cooling soon and expect the RAM temp will come back down again

In my case I have been leaving the SOC on auto and just setting 1.47v dram.

Dunno what the default SOC is but I am tempted to try setting it to 1.1v and see if it behaves.

Soldato
OP
Right as an update to this.

Still experiencing issues.

My Watch Dogs Legion issues I 'fixed' by upping the dram voltage to 1.5v.

However getting freezes and crashes in Valhalla. Ask in the Valhalla thread and others say they get it too.

However also get freezes and crashes in Doom Eternal DLC 2 so now I am suspecting my overclock.

As previously stated, I was stable before the 3080 was installed using 1.47v dram for at least a year.

So now I am experimenting with SOC voltage in case it's the case that installing the 3080 has put more pressure on the memory controller perhaps? :confused:

It's not heat as my case is well ventilated and we are still experiencing winter conditions.

As for SOC I am gonna try 1.125v.

Soldato
Right as an update to this.

Still experiencing issues.

My Watch Dogs Legion issues I 'fixed' by upping the dram voltage to 1.5v.

However getting freezes and crashes in Valhalla. Ask in the Valhalla thread and others say they get it too.

However also get freezes and crashes in Doom Eternal DLC 2 so now I am suspecting my overclock.

As previously stated, I was stable before the 3080 was installed using 1.47v dram for at least a year.

So now I am experimenting with SOC voltage in case it's the case that installing the 3080 has put more pressure on the memory controller perhaps? :confused:

It's not heat as my case is well ventilated and we are still experiencing winter conditions.

As for SOC I am gonna try 1.125v.
It's probably just down to the extra heat in the case generated by the 3080, my stable 3800/14 @1.49v became unstable after installing the 3080 even though it would pass memtest fine since the GPU wasn't running so after some trial and error testing I reduced it to CL16 and lowered voltage to 1.43 and it's been fine since. Since I game at 1440p the difference between CL14 and 16 was next to nothing anyway so stability was far more important.

I have the silverstone RL06 which is one of the best high airflow cases but heat still effected it so even if it's only raising temps a couple of C it may still cause issues if the ram was already at the limit.

Could also possibly be down the GPU itself.

Soldato
It's probably just down to the extra heat in the case generated by the 3080, my stable 3800/14 @1.49v became unstable after installing the 3080 even though it would pass memtest fine since the GPU wasn't running so after some trial and error testing I reduced it to CL16 and lowered voltage to 1.43 and it's been fine since. Since I game at 1440p the difference between CL14 and 16 was next to nothing anyway so stability was far more important.

I have the silverstone RL06 which is one of the best high airflow cases but heat still effected it so even if it's only raising temps a couple of C it may still cause issues if the ram was already at the limit.

Could also possibly be down the GPU itself.

I've read that bdie doesn't like temp above 50c. When I swapped out my 2080ti for a 3090 the temp on my 3600 cl14 bdie while gaming went from 45c to 60c

Soldato
OP
If it is heat then this should cause the frequency of people with ram such as the 8 Pack 3600 CL14 stuff to start complaining of instability as well and at XMP too as it's 1.45v out the box..

You see the issue I have with blaming heat. Where does it leave the ram out there that comes out the box at 1.45v +?

I wonder if this is an issue with the FE rather than the AIB cards.

Soldato
If it is heat then this should cause the frequency of people with ram such as the 8 Pack 3600 CL14 stuff to start complaining of instability as well and at XMP too as it's 1.45v out the box..

You see the issue I have with blaming heat. Where does it leave the ram out there that comes out the box at 1.45v +?

I wonder if this is an issue with the FE rather than the AIB cards.
You can easily test it by dropping the CL to 16 and voltage to 1.4 and see if you still get the crashes.

Soldato
OP
OK, so yea dropping to CL16 timings and 1.35v seems to solve the issue.

So it's heat.

But this is strange all the same. During the initial reviews of the FE cards some of the big reviewers like Jayztwocents and GamersNexus et al tested the theory that the FE's blower design would heat up the ram and they concluded that this was not the case and that it was thermally efficient.

However as end users we are experiencing the opposite.

These cards heat up so much that they push ram in to thermally unstable territory!

And what about the people that buy ram such as the 8PackRipped stuff. It will be unstable at XMP with these cards unless you have active ram cooling.

Does it really matter? Not so much.. it's just annoying to have to downscale my ram due to GPU heat.

Soldato
OK, so yea dropping to CL16 timings and 1.35v seems to solve the issue.

So it's heat.

But this is strange all the same. During the initial reviews of the FE cards some of the big reviewers like Jayztwocents and GamersNexus et al tested the theory that the FE's blower design would heat up the ram and they concluded that this was not the case and that it was thermally efficient.

However as end users we are experiencing the opposite.

These cards heat up so much that they push ram in to thermally unstable territory!

And what about the people that buy ram such as the 8PackRipped stuff. It will be unstable at XMP with these cards unless you have active ram cooling.

Does it really matter? Not so much.. it's just annoying to have to downscale my ram due to GPU heat.
They were probably just testing ram set to XMP though rather than manually tuned to the limit, while the 8 pack ripped runs at 1.45v it's also not configured as tight as manually tuned especially in the sub timings which can increase the temp of the memory chips.

Soldato
OP
They were probably just testing ram set to XMP though rather than manually tuned to the limit, while the 8 pack ripped runs at 1.45v it's also not configured as tight as manually tuned especially in the sub timings which can increase the heat of the memory chips.

I punched in the same primary timings on my ram at 1.45v and it still froze.

14 15 15 15 35 @ 1.45v

Remember this same ram prior to the 3080 was running the above and it could even run 14 15 14 14 28 @ 1.47v (with tight secondaries) which is what I ran it at for quite a while.

---

Well actually, probably not a good test, because I know that my ram needs at least 1.47v for stability. So perhaps I should try again.

Soldato
Might also be worth running some fps tests in games as I can't see there being much if any difference between CL14 vs 16 at 1440p.

Soldato
They were probably just testing ram set to XMP though rather than manually tuned to the limit, while the 8 pack ripped runs at 1.45v it's also not configured as tight as manually tuned especially in the sub timings which can increase the temp of the memory chips.

Yes that's right. All the reviewers were testing RAM at XMP 3200 14 or 3600 16 where as a lot of us are going above XMP with fine tuned timing and voltages, right at the edge of stability and it can just take for a bit of extra heat to push over the edge

Back
Top Bottom