• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 3080 and suddenly problems

Soldato
So I have had my 3080 for almost 2 weeks now and I have mostly played Watch dogs Legion on it.

My PC prior to installing the 3080 had a 1080 and things where rock solid.

Having switched to the 3080 tho I am definitely having issues.

My PSU is a Corsair RM 850x (850w) which I bough last March in preparation for the upgrade.

It's cabled in correctly as well using two separate rails to the PSU.

Almost every game session I crash or freeze and sometimes blue screen.

Last two weeks I have been playing Watch Dogs Legion and that has been the game I have experienced the most issues with. CTD and even blue screens.

I do have my ram overclocked using a profile from the dram calc. I've used this profile for a good year with absolutely no problems.

I played about half of Watch Dogs Legion and got fed up of the blue screens so blaming the game uninstalled it.

I installed Metro Exodus to play the DLC and about 4hrs in the screen froze. The pc was still on, no crash to desktop just a freeze.

This is better than the blue screens I was getting with Watch Dogs Legion.

It COULD be my ram as it's the only thing overclocked in the system.

I do have PBO turned on though using motherboard limits, scalar 2x and boost 500Mhz.

As a first step to fix my problems I have manually set the SOC voltage to 1.1v and VDDG to 1.1v as this is something that is mentioned in the Ryzen Master documentation.

I remember a few years back on my x370 I had to set the VDDG to get 3600MHz to work. But switching to an x570 board I've gamed on my ram profile without needing to fiddle with much other than just set the dram voltage for a good year now.

Cooling of my system should be good. I have a P400a which has great airflow plus right now it's freezing up in my room in the loft so the ambient temps are helping with temps.

So... either the 3080 has changed something in my system causing the ram to be unstable or I have a dodgy 3080. Or even the drivers are at fault.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would start by putting everything back to stock/XMP.

The 3080 could be the problem, or it could have just *exposed* a problem. If everything works without any overclocking, then you can revist the overclocks.

Caporegime
FYI mate I've run an overclocked 10700k sys (hungrier than my current 5900X) with a 3080 and a 6800XT absolutely fine with a RM650X psu so that bit is probably fine.

Soldato
What's annoying is my ram passes stability tests.

Well what i mea is I ran it for 400% HCI memtest and all good.

The 3080 will be pumping out a serious amount of heat whilst gaming that won't be happening when just stress test RAM. There is a chance your RAM is becoming unstable due to heat.

Soldato
My PSU is a Corsair RM 850x (850w) which I bough last March in preparation for the upgrade.

It's cabled in correctly as well using two separate rails to the PSU.

Look like PSU is the issue, Corsair RM 850x did not supported single rail. About a week ago I read somewhere someone with AMD Ryzen CPU had same issues with RTX 3080 and Corsair HXi 750i PSU then hours later after someone posted suggested switch to single rail mode in iCUE software and the issue wass finally resolved with no more freezes and crashes. Guess RTX 3080 do not like PSUs with multi rails.

Soldato
OP
Look like PSU is the issue, Corsair RM 850x did not supported single rail. About a week ago I read somewhere someone with AMD Ryzen CPU had same issues with RTX 3080 and Corsair HXi 750i PSU then hours later after someone posted suggested switch to single rail mode in iCUE software and the issue wass finally resolved with no more freezes and crashes. Guess RTX 3080 do not like PSUs with multi rails.

How is that the problem?

I mean I have two separate cables running from the PSU to the adapter that goes in the 3080 FE.

I'm pretty sure that's what your meant to do. :confused:

If I switch it to single rail, will I need to change the wiring?

Last edited:
Permabanned
The 3080 will be pumping out a serious amount of heat whilst gaming that won't be happening when just stress test RAM. There is a chance your RAM is becoming unstable due to heat.

This sounds quite likely. The 3080 could be blasting heat right in to the RAM.

Soldato
It says on the Corsair product page:

Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail No

HXi750 has Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail Yes.

OCUK has HX850 claimed it has +12V Rail Switch: Gives the user the choice of a single +12V rail or multiple +12V rails.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £177.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)
I googled HX850 product code found corsair link but it said Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail No so guess it mean no iCUE support but it has +12V Rail Switch on PSU.

KitGuru HX850 review showed +12V Rail Switch:

84w4GNg.jpg

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ir-hx850-platinum-2017-power-supply-review/3/

Soldato
OP
HXi750 has Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail Yes.

OCUK has HX850 claimed it has +12V Rail Switch: Gives the user the choice of a single +12V rail or multiple +12V rails.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £177.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)
I googled HX850 product code found corsair link but it said Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail No so guess it mean no iCUE support but it has +12V Rail Switch on PSU.

KitGuru HX850 review showed +12V Rail Switch:

84w4GNg.jpg

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ir-hx850-platinum-2017-power-supply-review/3/

Good spot mate.

However mine is an RM850x and it doesn't have such a switch.

Back
Top Bottom