New 4k TV blurry.

Associate
So I have just bought a new QLED Samsung. Once I set it all up I fired up Sky Sports it looked blurry. My previous one looked razor sharp, so cannot understand why it looks so poor.

I put 4k on YT and it looked epic, so I guess it is the Sky+ box. I've checked the settings and it all looks normal.

I've been trawling Google for information, but cannot find anything. Going to end up returning the TV at this rate.

Any advice?

TIA

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've just called Sky and they said I either upgrade to SkyQ, which may not solve the issue, or pay an engineer to come and sort it.

It worked perfectly before I bought this new TV, yet now they're saying it is broken.

Complete and utter joke.

Associate
Does the hdmi cable you are using for the new tv Support 4K? on the Samsung tv press info on remote and it should tell you if is 4K or not.

also... when you tested it on YouTube, was that on the app on the Samsung tv or the app on the sky box ? What model Samsung tv do you have ? I have the budget t60 QLED screen which is still good but not fantastic.

Associate
OP
So I have just tried a HDMI 2.0 as I presume the Sky ones aren't 2.0, but it made no difference at all. I'm just watching Sky Sport HD, but is so blurry at times I cant even say the ball is spherical! It feels like I'm watching the football after drinking 15 pints, to the point where it's making me feel dizzy.

I watched 4k on the YT app.

Erm.... you have taken the tv screen protector off ? :D

There isnt a cover.

Q75T QLED

Man of Honour
Does the hdmi cable you are using for the new tv Support 4K? on the Samsung tv press info on remote and it should tell you if is 4K or not.

Why would he need a 4K HDMI cable?

@AshB1989 has a Sky+ box. These max out at 1080i resolution. He could have a HDMI 1.0 cable from 2005 and it would still work.

You only need something better than a normal High-Speed HDMI cable if the source is pushing out UHD res (3840x2160 pixels) at a higher frame rate than 24Hz combined with HDR and WCG.

Man of Honour
So I have just tried a HDMI 2.0 as I presume the Sky ones aren't 2.0, but it made no difference at all. I'm just watching Sky Sport HD, but is so blurry at times I cant even say the ball is spherical! It feels like I'm watching the football after drinking 15 pints, to the point where it's making me feel dizzy.

Q75T QLED

There's not really lot to change in the picture output settings of a Sky+ box with HDMI out.

The only noticeable change would be altering the HD Resolution Output setting from 1080i to Automatic or 576 or 720p. When set to Auto', the box will change output resolution between 576 and 1080i to match the resolution default of the channel. IOW, HD channels are shown at 1080i, and SD channels at 576. The TV is then responsible for all scaling. You'll notice this most by how long the picture blanks out for when flicking between SD and HD channels. Setting to 1080i fixes this for a small penalty in the scaling up of SD res content.

If you've set to either 576 or 720p, then that will bork your HD quality good and proper. Make sure your Sky box is set to 1080i. Do all the onscreen confirmations to make sure that the setting sticks. Double check the menu setting before you exit the setup menus on the Sky box.

Going hand-in-hand with output resolution is the Screen Aspect Ratio.

All HD content is designed to be shown in a 16:9 format screen window. This is why fewer and fewer TVs have a button on the remote to change the picture aspect ratio. You might find though that there's still a TV menu setting to override this. The correct settings are generally either Auto or 16:9, but each has its own caveats and rely on the content being correctly formatted or correctly flagged by the broadcaster if the TV needs to adapt.

Where you can really mess up the picture is by setting the screen aspect ratio to 4:3, or even worse, Zoom. Check your settings and if in doubt stick with Auto.

The rest of your TV settings will make a smaller difference to the focus quality. The Overscan and the Noise Reduction settings should be set to OFF. Have a look at the TVs motion processing settings. When set too high the TV can make the images look like there's an oddness to the motion. It's called Soap Opera Effect (SOE).

It's worth mentioning at this point that it's common to find TVs where they have individual picture set-up memories per source signal. Some even go as far as allowing bespoke settings per signal resolution, so HDMI 2 @ 1080i can have a different setup than HDMI 2 @ 1080p, and again different for HDMI 2 @ 2160p SDR, and 2160p HDR. This means setting up for one HDMI input or the App settings (if that's an option) doesn't mean that those settings will be carried across to all other sources.

Have a play with what's been suggested so far then give us some feedback.

Man of Honour
I've just called Sky and they said I either upgrade to SkyQ, which may not solve the issue, or pay an engineer to come and sort it.

It worked perfectly before I bought this new TV, yet now they're saying it is broken.

Complete and utter joke.

Well, you rang 'em with a problem that isn't of their making but seemingly expecting them to sort it, so they gave you a couple of solutions to either shut you up or get some more money out of you. :D:D:D

'

Associate
OP
There's not really lot to change in the picture output settings of a Sky+ box with HDMI out.

The only noticeable change would be altering the HD Resolution Output setting from 1080i to Automatic or 576 or 720p. When set to Auto', the box will change output resolution between 576 and 1080i to match the resolution default of the channel. IOW, HD channels are shown at 1080i, and SD channels at 576. The TV is then responsible for all scaling. You'll notice this most by how long the picture blanks out for when flicking between SD and HD channels. Setting to 1080i fixes this for a small penalty in the scaling up of SD res content.

If you've set to either 576 or 720p, then that will bork your HD quality good and proper. Make sure your Sky box is set to 1080i. Do all the onscreen confirmations to make sure that the setting sticks. Double check the menu setting before you exit the setup menus on the Sky box.

Going hand-in-hand with output resolution is the Screen Aspect Ratio.

All HD content is designed to be shown in a 16:9 format screen window. This is why fewer and fewer TVs have a button on the remote to change the picture aspect ratio. You might find though that there's still a TV menu setting to override this. The correct settings are generally either Auto or 16:9, but each has its own caveats and rely on the content being correctly formatted or correctly flagged by the broadcaster if the TV needs to adapt.

Where you can really mess up the picture is by setting the screen aspect ratio to 4:3, or even worse, Zoom. Check your settings and if in doubt stick with Auto.

The rest of your TV settings will make a smaller difference to the focus quality. The Overscan and the Noise Reduction settings should be set to OFF. Have a look at the TVs motion processing settings. When set too high the TV can make the images look like there's an oddness to the motion. It's called Soap Opera Effect (SOE).

It's worth mentioning at this point that it's common to find TVs where they have individual picture set-up memories per source signal. Some even go as far as allowing bespoke settings per signal resolution, so HDMI 2 @ 1080i can have a different setup than HDMI 2 @ 1080p, and again different for HDMI 2 @ 2160p SDR, and 2160p HDR. This means setting up for one HDMI input or the App settings (if that's an option) doesn't mean that those settings will be carried across to all other sources.

Have a play with what's been suggested so far then give us some feedback.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth suggestion - I really appreciate it.

The box is set to 1080i already, so I played around with that and nothing really changed. I noticed the RF2 picture format wasnt 16:9, so changed that, but again, no different really.

There was one thing I noticed, which could potentially cause an issue. I notice the ratio was 16:9 on the TV, however I changed it to custom and the picture shrunk a tiny bit. When I put it back on to 16:9 it was like it stretched the picture to fit.

I turned off the judder and smoothing options.

It still doesnt feel right. It is like my brain is telling me I need to refocus my eyeballs. It is actually effort to watch football on this tv. I'm not expecting 4k as I dont have UHD package, however standard HD looks pants compared to the previous two TVs (which were supposedly inferior!).

Associate
OP
So I've faffed with the settings from Rtings, but still feel like it hurts my eyes watching football. It is like my eyes/brain are constantly trying to focus, which is borderline painful. Its 120hz so shouldnt have issues with that.

Back
Top Bottom