• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 5870 - suspect may have been used/opened

Soldato
Looking for peoples experiences here. Got my Saphire 5870 today. No chance to test as still don't have other parts for my build. But I noticed the box it came in wasn't shrink wrapped and one of the seals was peeled away. So box was opened. Anyone experience this with their 5870. Next thing was the accessory box. Everything there I think...2 pci-e-molex adaptor cables in bubble wrap, games dvd, voucher for dirt2, saphire badge, xfire bridge in hard plastic, dvi/vga dongle sealed in plastic, manual and the driver cd. But the envelope was opened and pretty tattered. Plus the CD had a couple of faint hairline scratches on it. Not something you would get from a freshly pressed CD. And to top it all off, the video card was chucked into bubble wrap envelope but not sealed. It looks ok though. Is this normal. Should the thing have been sealed or in some anti static bag. It's obvious someone opened the box and took out the driver CD and used it. That's all I can proove for now and I intend sending OcUK a webnote. But I am interested in hearing if this is par for the course. Has anyone experienced the same. Perphaps I got a card OCUK used to test with, and it was repackaged. Doesn't matter to me really as long as the card works, but I won't know that for a few days at least. A bit anxious I am as after spending 1500 quid on new build and this is the 1st potential hitch.

Soldato
OP
I am a bit more reassured now. Yes it was the black, bubblewrap yoke folded over that it was in. Didn't realise it had anti-static properties.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18058055&page=4
post #92 has exact same bag mine is in. It's a saphire.

Looks like the driver CD was the only thing used. Anyway, I shot a webnote off to OCUK, in the even the card does not work I will be getting it replace but of course won't know until I have all my other bits and the PC built.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Still, I'd like to know why someone felt the need to break the seal on the driver cd and actually use it. I sent a webnote. I suppose I will have to wait until Monday for a reply.

Soldato
OP
OCUK should really comment on this. I don't mind a loose sticker but my driver cd was used, has a couple of faint scratches and the envelope is tatty. This means there is a possibility my card is used too. When I buy new I expect new. I expect when I get my parts next week the card wil work. But still, it's something that doesn't sit well with me, especially as I want to buy a 2nd 5870 for xfire.

Soldato
OP
That's not the point though is it. The fact the driver cd envelope was opened and creased up, and the cd itself had some scratches means someone fluted around with the driver CD when they should not have. It doesn't matter if no one uses the CD. Because it was interfered with, it means the box was possibly opened after it was sealed. So they could have done the same to the card or maybe they didn't but how am I to know. It doesn't inspire confidence does it. What happens if it gives trouble at some stage. Maybe the person who opened my box played with the card, maybe they dropped it, maybe they didn't, who knows. When you buy new you expect new. As I bought the day after launch I expect it is new to be honest. And chances are if the card works, I will keep it. As you said, it's not worth the hassle returning it in that instance. But it's not acceptable for OcUK to sell something as new with the seals broken, be it the box, or the contents thereof. I wouldn't accept an Xbox 360 that had the seal broken, or an LCD which had the screen protector removed. In fact I don't accept console games unless they are sealed and shrinkwrapped. This whole incident leaves me with thought for pause.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So that's fair enough OCUK don't open stuff. I guess someone at Saphire needed a driver CD for a bit and opened mine. As long as the card is perfect I will be happy. But I had to ask the question about other peoples experiences to try and judge if this sort of thing was the norm.

Soldato
OP
correct

nobody in the tech team has a 5870, we are all still on 4890's/295s etc

all of us are waiting for the nvidia response

me personally, i am waiting for gen2 DX11 cards

we dont have the time to cherry pick hardware

now if you want an i7 920, i overclock around 60+ a week and could find you a good one.
but the only time we touch graphics cards is if we are installing them into a full system build

i am quite shocked that a card has reached a customer in an opened condition, definatly somethign i havent heard of before.

the best thing i can suggest from my point of view to help the OP out is the following:

post here in the customer support forum, make your thread with the title:

'rjkoneill, someone broke the seals on my 5870, help me out!!!'
and post your order number and a brief reminder of the key points in this thread

i will look into the issue and try to resolve it as best i can

once again, i can only apologise about this occurance and hope the OP sees this and is able to contact me via the support channels

Thanks for your help. I have done this now.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15035264#post15035264

Soldato
OP
I'm the OP. The problem is I haven't been able to try my card yet as still waiting on parts. And when I find an opened box, and an opened/scratched driver cd in a tatty envelope, and a card in some anti-static bubble wrap unsealed, I thought something might have been up. I think this is reasonable, and I posted to find out peoples experiences. Since then it seems bar the opened/scratched driver cd a lot are in the same boat as me which is a relief. Therefore I think this post was worth it to find out. I hope to have my rig built by the weekend so will know if it works for sure then.

Back
Top Bottom