• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 5900x crashing

Associate
OP
Reply might me late but if any mod is willing to edit initial post and add the following lines would be brilliant

Left it in the rest of the time with all oc settings up (pbo, curve optimizer, etc) BUT with ram non-oc at 2133mhz. It never crashed in the upcoming months.

Fast forward to a week ago when I decided to try once more to fix the situation, bought a new kit of ram g.skill trident neo z ( a good samsung b-die).

Guess what, the cpu would crash in under, anot not just crash, but crash a lot( WHEA 41). Disabling the ram oc back to 2133mhz all good, if I was enabling the oc to 3000mhz, 3200mhz or 3600mhz would crash.

Finally decided that It was enought and my 3080 deserves a cpu that can handle fast ram. Decided to sumit a RMA request. Sent it thurstay to amd, next tuesday got a brand new replacement.

This is my third one, so far no crashes in any form of stress, wz2, starfield, stress tests, idle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reply might me late but if any mod is willing to edit initial post and add the following lines would be brilliant

Left it in the rest of the time with all oc settings up (pbo, curve optimizer, etc) BUT with ram non-oc at 2133mhz. It never crashed in the upcoming months.

Fast forward to a week ago when I decided to try once more to fix the situation, bought a new kit of ram g.skill trident neo z ( a good samsung b-die).

Guess what, the cpu would crash in under, anot not just crash, but crash a lot( WHEA 41). Disabling the ram oc back to 2133mhz all good, if I was enabling the oc to 3000mhz, 3200mhz or 3600mhz would crash.

Finally decided that It was enought and my 3080 deserves a cpu that can handle fast ram. Decided to sumit a RMA request. Sent it thurstay to amd, next tuesday got a brand new replacement.

This is my third one, so far no crashes in any form of stress, wz2, starfield, stress tests, idle.

i got 4 sticks of ram but cant run them at 3200 speed, highest i can do is 2733mhz. you should be able to do 2666mhz on ram easily.
you really need to be doing proper ram tests on that setup otherwise you will get random issues. run memtest86 overnight and also run testmem5 anta777 absolut overnight too. that should pinpoint any ram issues your having.

Associate
OP
Now is nearly the end of the year. Had some months to play out with the settings, overclock ram, overclock cpu, etc, absolute zero crashes. I do still have the same configuration as before. At the end of the day I had to send back 2 units out of 3.

I will make sure next time when I upgrade I go back to Intel.

Bottom line, if you have a 5900x and get memory controller errors dont bother, send it back and if possible switch to Intel.

Back
Top Bottom