New Aircooler for X99

Associate
Hi

I have a i7 5820k in an ASUS X99-S presently cooled by a Antec H1200 Aio. It is no longer performing as it did originally think the pump is on the way out as the logo often starts flashing which was an indicator water getting hot.

So I have been looking at replacing with an air cooler, I have several that I am interested in. Will only want a mild Oc of 4.2Ghz have had no problem getting 4.5Ghz @1.29v with the Aio originally.

The coolers I am interested in are

Noctua D15s and Noctua D15, the D15 I am concerned will interfere with the top Pcie 3.0x16 slot.
Does anyone have any experience with the D15 on an Asus x99 deluxe, A or S?
I asked about all three motherboards as pretty sure they all have the same spacing

Other coolers considered are Bequiet
Dark Rock Pro 4
Dark Rock 4
Dark Rock Slim

All coolers I have chosen are reasonably quiet, any of the thermalrights are out of the question as impossible to get in Cyprus where I presently live.

Anyone knowledgeable think that all or any of the above are likely to keep a 5820k cool @4.2ghz 1.24v?

Ps the case is a Phanteks Evolv Atx which I have modded so that the front and top covers have a 30cm by 14cm rectangular hole in, and then a metal plate with hundreds of 2mm holes in. It’s still work in progress so not too pretty but getting there.

Soldato
CPU socket of that board sure looks to be positioned low and toward center of mobo instead of upper edge.
So any 14cm fan heatsink is very likely to conflict with card in uppermost slot.
And then there's also possible quad channel memory config.

Scythe Mugen 5 would be the best clearance high end cooler.

Soldato
Asus X99S has 77.7mm center CPU to near side of nearest PCIe socket and 55.4mm center to near side of RAM socket. Plenty of room for even wide coolers but fan on front of cooler may be over RAM, so make sure you have room for that fan. Evolv ATX has 194mm CPU clearance which is more than any cooler needs. That is 199mm for RAM and fan, so 140mm fan will fit over 58mm tall RAM, but of course tall RAM blocks airflow to things around CPU socket.

NH-D15 fins would be 75mm center CPU toward PCie so will fit, but fan clips might be problematic, assuming your RAM is not too tall.

NH-D15S has finpack offset so fins only reach 67mm toward PCie sockets.

With the heat you have there during the summer I suggest as big a cooler as possible, good case fans, remove all PCIe slot covers from back of case to increase rear venting around GPU and thus improve front to back airflow. Stock case fans should work well. What is the lowest priced big twin tower or single tower coolers available to you?

Below is link to basic guide to how case airflow works and how to optimize it.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Soldato
Glad to help. I suggest trying it with just the one fan. I'm pretty sure it will do the job just fine. The difference between 1 and 2 fans cooler/radiators is only a couple degrees at full speed. At lower speeds single fan will run 100-200rpm faster for same temp as 2 fans (difference in speed is more at lower speeds because 1x fan can't overcome resistance as well as 2x fans at low speed) .. but 1x fan running 1-200rpm faster makes same noise as 2x fans at lower speed keeping things at same temp, so only real gain is a couple c and dBa at 100% speed.

Soldato
I went for the Dark Rock 4 Pro after thinking along the same lines as yourself.

Thoroughly impressed with it :) I’d make the same choice again as it looks great, is silent and from what I’ve read performs every bit as well as the Noctua.

Soldato
I run a Asus x99-s and a noctua d15(s?) fitting is tight to gfx card but it's fine

Mounted fan near ram up a bit to clear ram too

Soldato
I run a Asus x99-s and a noctua d15(s?) fitting is tight to gfx card but it's fine

I've use NH-D15 but not NH-D15S. D15S is about 2c warmer than D15, but both cool the same with 1x or 2x fans. if I was to buy one it would be NH-D15S because it's offset finpacks mean it will fit on more motherboards.

Soldato
Here's my rig

oPcSN40.jpg

Card looks a bit slanted, they all seem to if you look at other's comps, but I put lego bricks under it on the right side to stop it drooping :D

Associate
OP

Hi LeMson

It looks like your graphics card has a backplate I

Could you tell me the case you have, your idle and Load temps along with the cpu model, O.C. and voltage if O.C.d

I would be very grateful

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I went for the Dark Rock 4 Pro after thinking along the same lines as yourself.

Thoroughly impressed with it :) I’d make the same choice again as it looks great, is silent and from what I’ve read performs every bit as well as the Noctua.

Hi Bluntwrapped what cpu do you have the DR 4 pro on

If it’s X99 Motherboard

Could you tell me the case you have, your idle and Load temps along with the cpu model, O.C. and voltage if O.C.d please.

Soldato
Hi LeMson

It looks like your graphics card has a backplate I

Could you tell me the case you have, your idle and Load temps along with the cpu model, O.C. and voltage if O.C.d

I would be very grateful

Yes it has a backplate.

Case is a Corsair 750D. CPU is a 5820k @ 4.4ghz 1.28V. Cooler hides the ram too, I'm running 8x8 -> 64GB at 2400mhz

Not sure which temps your after, if it's CPU it's idling now in the low 40C's, 100% load it's reading 78C on hottest core, 70 on coolest, though heat soak would see that creep up into the low 80's for hottest. Fan's are all set to lowest settings and stop when idling, comp is near silent at idle which I prefer, so if you had them all going obviously temps could go lower, they aren't aggressive at load either, I game with headphones so noise wouldn't bother me, but I don't wanna disturb others in house.

I was running a Corsair H110i Pro, but it died, pump failure I think, RMA'ed and Corsair sent me a H115i Pro but during the downtime I bought the D-15 and I love it, it's not gonna fail like an AIO, so I have a H115i just sat in a box lol

There's no real difference between the noctua and AIO H110/H115 though when I was testing them, both idle and loads temps are similar, and I prefer that the noctua won't die, a fan might, but it's just a fan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes it has a backplate.

Case is a Corsair 750D. CPU is a 5820k @ 4.4ghz 1.28V. Cooler hides the ram too, I'm running 8x8 -> 64GB at 2400mhz

Not sure which temps your after, if it's CPU it's idling now in the low 40C's, 100% load it's reading 78C on hottest core, 70 on coolest, though heat soak would see that creep up into the low 80's for hottest. Fan's are all set to lowest settings and stop when idling, comp is near silent at idle which I prefer, so if you had them all going obviously temps could go lower, they aren't aggressive at load either, I game with headphones so noise wouldn't bother me, but I don't wanna disturb others in house.

I was running a Corsair H110i Pro, but it died, pump failure I think, RMA'ed and Corsair sent me a H115i Pro but during the downtime I bought the D-15 and I love it, it's not gonna fail like an AIO, so I have a H115i just sat in a box lol

There's no real difference between the noctua and AIO H110/H115 though when I was testing them, both idle and loads temps are similar, and I prefer that the noctua won't die, a fan might, but it's just a fan.

All great information, just one more question your cpu cooler is the D15 and not the D15S is that right.

Soldato
Hi Bluntwrapped what cpu do you have the DR 4 pro on

If it’s X99 Motherboard

Could you tell me the case you have, your idle and Load temps along with the cpu model, O.C. and voltage if O.C.d please.

It’s a build in the works mate, limited by available funds so for now just a barebones system - mobo, CPU and RAM. No case, just a test build on my coffee table.

It is X99 - ASUS X99-WS/IPMI and the DRP4 is on a Xeon 2673v4 20c CPU (135w)

Idle temps are low to mid 30’s and load temps haven’t yet gone beyond 47c.

Watched a few videos on YouTube and read reviews before making the decision, the aesthetics and size of the DRP4 (imo) gives it the edge over what is pretty much equal cooling performance to the Noctua.

Noctua have Chromax, all black versions coming but they’ve been saying this for two years now. As someone who works in design, Noctua’s hesitation to move away from the hideous colour scheme doesn’t sit well with me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It’s a build in the works mate, limited by available funds so for now just a barebones system - mobo, CPU and RAM. No case, just a test build on my coffee table.

It is X99 - ASUS X99-WS/IPMI and the DRP4 is on a Xeon 2673v4 20c CPU (135w)

Idle temps are low to mid 30’s and load temps haven’t yet gone beyond 47c.

Watched a few videos on YouTube and read reviews before making the decision, the aesthetics and size of the DRP4 (imo) gives it the edge over what is pretty much equal cooling performance to the Noctua.

Noctua have Chromax, all black versions coming but they’ve been saying this for two years now. As someone who works in design, Noctua’s hesitation to move away from the hideous colour scheme doesn’t sit well with me.

Thanks for the information, like the DRP4 so will go with that.

Have to wait until payday as will also be getting a Rajintek Morpheus ii GPU cooler for the 980ti. I will post in thread when all done with pictures.

Soldato
Just a thought; Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power has 6x 8mm heatpipes in a 171mm tall by 53.4mm wide (53.5mm center CPU to front of fan) and 155mm wide so fins reach 77.5mm from center CPU toward PCIe sockets. X99 S is about 77.7mm center CPU to near side of PCie socket .. so if your GPU back is flush with edge of it's PCIe socket TRUE Spirit 140 Power will fit, and it's as good as the very best coolers out there if not better and costs 1/2 to 2/3rds as much. Like I said, just a thought. ;)

Associate
OP
Just a thought; Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power has 6x 8mm heatpipes in a 171mm tall by 53.4mm wide (53.5mm center CPU to front of fan) and 155mm wide so fins reach 77.5mm from center CPU toward PCIe sockets. X99 S is about 77.7mm center CPU to near side of PCie socket .. so if your GPU back is flush with edge of it's PCIe socket TRUE Spirit 140 Power will fit, and it's as good as the very best coolers out there if not better and costs 1/2 to 2/3rds as much. Like I said, just a thought. ;)

Sorry been away. I had considered the Thermalright coolers but not available in Cyprus and by the time I pay international shipping it’s a small gap to the Noctua or BeQuiet price wise.

Back
Top Bottom